Help needed - 04 ZJ fuel system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help needed - 04 ZJ fuel system

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
thebean04
1993 ZJ 

Help needed - 04 ZJ fuel system

OK, needing some advice for my 04 ZJ (4.0L).
A couple weeks ago, it stalled and would not restart. Engine was trying to turn over, but it wouldn't ever catch. I assumed (based on advice from a friend) that it was a bad fuel pump.

...Jump ahead a few weeks...

I get the thing pulled home, dropped the tank, swapped the fuel pump, changed the fuel filter, put it all back together, tried to start it, and it still won't start. I am stumped.

I have since found out a couple more things:
- The fuel pump relay DOES seem to be functioning. (When I have my wife turn on the electrical system, I can feel the relay "click" on then off.)
- The pump does not seem to be engaging when the electrical system is turned on. (I can't hear the pump running at all when the key is turned.)
- The fuel line clearly is not priming. (Since swapping the pump and the filter, I have tried priming the line multiple times, yet even after this, the brand new fuel filter still has no fuel in it, meaning the pump is not priming the line.)

Any ideas/suggestions?? Other things I could check myself? Thanks in advance!!

thebean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
RescueZJ
1995 ZJ 

There is also an auto shut off relay right next to it- may want to try to pull that to rule it out. Other wise sounds like the connection when you plugged in the new pump might not have clicked far enough? If that checks out-use a meter to see if getting power from the truck at that connecter. You can hear the pump when it runs - sounds like you have confirmed it is not running. Or check fuel pressure at the rail..
RescueZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
thebean04
1993 ZJ 

Rescue, is the auto shut-off relay you are talking about right next the the fuel pump relay under the hood?
Unread 03-31-2014, 02:04 AM   #4
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Not tryin to rag on you, but if you have an 04 it's going to be a wj. Not a zj --- For future reference.

And yes the ASD relay is going to be in the pdc under the hood with the other fuses and relays.
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
thebean04
1993 ZJ 

Thanks dylantheheeler. I am a newbie here, happy to be corrected.
So I just pull the ASD relay and try to crank it?
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
thebean04
1993 ZJ 

CRAP!!! I'm an idiot. I was on auto pilot and wrote 04 zj, but it is actually a 94 zj. Repeat: 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee!! I expect this changes things considerably!
Unread 03-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Not a problem. Hey that's what this forum is all about, helping each other out. But go ahead and make sure that you are getting power to the pump. Take a test light and unplug the connector for the fuel pump. Poke the test light around the contacts on the plug and have someone turn the key on and off. If the light never comes on then you're not getting any power to the pump and you have a wiring/fuse/relay/pcm issue. Best to narrow it down first. Let me know what you find out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.