Help, need picture or someone to tell me a color of wire on cpu - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help, need picture or someone to tell me a color of wire on cpu

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
tkottikas
2001 WJ 

Help, need picture or someone to tell me a color of wire on cpu

so long story short, had trouble with my dads zj, kept stalling. finally wiggled cpu connectors and it stalled again so i ordered a new cpu. put it in and it ran fine for a few days. then started stalling again after a week. went back to wiggling the wires and it stalled again. figured it might be a short in the connector

i opened up the connector to try and fix it but now im not sure which way to put the wires in the clip of the connector(i can rotate it 180*)

it is the very first connector closest to the engine (closest to driver side). can anyone please tell me the color of the first few wires closest to driver side (or take a picture)?

i tried to find a new connector to splice the wires as there probably is a short in there but could not find one anywhere.

the jeep is a 98 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 with select track.

any help would be very much appreciative.

tkottikas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

You most likely didn't find anything wrong with the pins in the connectors because the problem is in the replacement PCM.
I just re soldered a PCM for a guy that had returned 4 PCMs that did the same thing. 96-98 (4.0) PCMs have a problem with the connections to boards. There not getting properly repaired and are are just getting recycled when returned for not working.You can either keep returning the PCMs until you get one that works or repair it yourself by following the instructions in the following link.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...tures-1303589/
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Buy The Ecu From Somewhere Other Than Those Guys In Florida And You Should Be Better.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

And stay away from the PCMs that come in a STANDARD brand box that says "Made in Mexico".
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
tkottikas
2001 WJ 

hmm... well when i put the convector back in it wouldn't even start so that's why i think i bight have put it in backwards. i wont be able to look at it till i get off work. my dad bought the cpu from amazon with there life time warranty. sucks if they gave me another bad one.

if i remember all the numbers on the holes of the connector were upside down so from this diagram i should be able to figure out if i put it in right. i guess ill talk to the guys who sold it to him or try and solder it myself
Unread 09-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
tkottikas
2001 WJ 

thanks koreaZJ that diagram helped. i put the connector in the correct way but had a wire that kept coming out. trying to glue it in place so i will try it out tomorrow and hope for the best also going to find the place where it was ordered from to see if they have a good rep.
Unread 10-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
tkottikas
2001 WJ 

i think i messed something up pretty bad cause when i reconnected it the first time. it was on the wrong way. now i have it correct and the jeep wont start. it turns over just wont start. battery is good. did i short something by putting it in wrong?

any fuses or relays i should check?
Unread 10-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

With everything on C1 flipped 180, Pin #2 (+12v) and Pin #31 (GND) would be reversed.

Check PDC Fuse#18 (15A), this supplies +12v to Pin #2 with the key in RUN.

Also check PDC Fuse#16 and Fuse #20.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
tkottikas
2001 WJ 

checked all the fuses you suggested and they all look good. any one have any other ideas?
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

You might have screwed things up a bit when you reversed the wires.

Are you sure that they'er all connected correctly now?

Check that the ASD relay energizes and the fuel pump comes on when you turn the key in the run position.

You might need to measure some voltages from this point on, do you have a meter?
asd1.png  
Unread 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
tkottikas
2001 WJ 

yeah, i checked the diagram and they are all correct now. i do hear the fuel pump power on. i do have a meter so i can check a few things with it just not that knowledgeable on what i would need to check.

just to make sure... is the PDS inside the jeep under the passenger seat? that's where i checked the fuses mentioned in post #9.
Unread 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The fuse box in the passenger kick panel is the Junction Box (JB). The Power Distribution Center (PDC) is just behind the battery.

Are you getting spark ? Hearing the injectors clicking. You might want to have someone help you with checking these things.

If you can get your hands on a scanner/reader it would make things a little easier. You need to find out if the PCM is operating correctly. You might have fried it.
Unread 10-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
tkottikas
2001 WJ 

ok, i checked the wrong fuses then. i will check the correct PDC fuses when i get home. i have the torque app (great app btw) on my phone so i can do a scan when i get back as well.
Unread 10-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.