Help, need info on 4wd, info inside - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help, need info on 4wd, info inside

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockRubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 03-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
frenchfriedshoe

Help, need info on 4wd, info inside

I currently own a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo limited, 5.2 v8.

While making sharp right or left turns, the wheels grab. I am unable to take the car out of 4wd, However, with no manual I am unsure if it is All-time, or if there is a way to remove it. I understand the wheels will grab if it is all time 4wd, if anyone has any insight in how to turn it off, or if it can be turned off, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

frenchfriedshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

You have the NP249 Transfer case which uses a viscous coupler to send power to the front wheels. This is a full time transfer case and you cannot take it out of 4x4. When the front wheels grab like you are describing the viscous coupler is shot. At this point you have a few options. You can take your ZJ to a repair shop and pay about $1000 or so to get it fixed. You can buy the part for about $450 and do it yourself, or you can get a different transfer case that does not use this part for about $300 and swap it in.

It's all up to you and what you want. Note that rebuilding your case is probably the only way to keep the AWD like you currently have. Some folks like it, some don't. The NP242 T-case has an 4 wheel drive full time position which is similar, but not as quick and reactive like your current case.
Unread 03-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
frenchfriedshoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
You have the NP249 Transfer case which uses a viscous coupler to send power to the front wheels. This is a full time transfer case and you cannot take it out of 4x4. When the front wheels grab like you are describing the viscous coupler is shot. At this point you have a few options. You can take your ZJ to a repair shop and pay about $1000 or so to get it fixed. You can buy the part for about $450 and do it yourself, or you can get a different transfer case that does not use this part for about $300 and swap it in.

It's all up to you and what you want. Note that rebuilding your case is probably the only way to keep the AWD like you currently have. Some folks like it, some don't. The NP242 T-case has an 4 wheel drive full time position which is similar, but not as quick and reactive like your current case.

Thanks for the quick response. How difficult would it be to buy the part and replace it myself. I'm more of an electronics kind of guy, I have access to a machine shop, pretty much any tool I could need, and a lift. Would this be something I could complete at home, or would it require something more indepth. Also, what would be the long term effects of continuing to drive like this?
frenchfriedshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

You'd want to use the search function as someone did this recently. I don't remember who though. You will have to remove the transfer case, open it up and replace the VC. It would probably be easier to do at the machine shop.

Driving like this very long will wear out tires, front or rear axles, suspension components, steering components, and other fun items. Don't do this very long.
Unread 03-11-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I'm not sure if anybody around here did it, but somebody did find the procedure. It's really not too bad from what I saw. Remove driveshaft, drop TC, take out a few bolts, pop out a couple C-clips, then slide out old, and slide in new. It's all one unit. Not a full TC rebuild, thank god. I'll see if I can dig up the procedure.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Here ya go

http://www.masoncomputing.com/np249/
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.