Help with my catalytic converter - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help with my catalytic converter

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Kingr98
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 302
Help with my catalytic converter

I bought a new cat for my jeep from Advance Auto which is a direct fit Walker.

My problem is that I cannot get my old cat to come off. I removed the pipe clamps, but I cannot get the muffler to slide loose from the cat.

Any suggestions?

Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
jm8881
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , California
Posts: 277
They make an exhaust separator tool but I don't know where you can rent one. Other than that, you're stuck with cutting it or banging for a while with a mallot.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Smokey1r
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Macomb, Illinois
Posts: 567
The reason is not coming off is because the clamp has compressed the pipe on the inner pipe causing it to be physically obstructed from sliding off.

Alternatives are to get an oxy-acetylene torch with a rosebud tip and heat the outer pipe till is starting to glow and twist it and pull till the compression ring the clamp created bends enough to allow it to slide off.
Or..
Use a saws all and carefully cut a slot in the outer pipe just long enough to expand the pipe to clear the compression ring without cutting on the inner pipe.

Once you remove the cat from the pipe i highly suggest straightening the compression ring left by the old clamp, heating the pipe near cherry red with something metal that fits inside will do the trick with a little creative tapping with a hammer. straightening the pipe will allow for a better seal on the new cat and avoid those pesky leaks after re clamping that will potentially wreak havoc on the O2 senor reading that would cause the MIL to illuminate!!!
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
pageman
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: fort myers, florida
Posts: 182
if it where me since straight pipe is illegal grab a hack saw and cut the old one out and weld a new pipe whith a new cat on there mabe a high flow cat(cut enough length so you can weld the new pipe and cat this ensures 100% seal but you just need a welder). worst case senerio is 20+ years down the line you cut and weld a new one up
pageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
JeepNicholson
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Burbank, OH
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageman View Post
if it where me since straight pipe is illegal grab a hack saw and cut the old one out and weld a new pipe whith a new cat on there mabe a high flow cat(cut enough length so you can weld the new pipe and cat this ensures 100% seal but you just need a welder). worst case senerio is 20+ years down the line you cut and weld a new one up
High flow cats are pointless.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
riot1987
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Posts: 3,129
Sawzall chief. done and done.
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/riots-97-grand-1436100/

^build thread^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #7
coralman
Web Wheeler
 
coralman's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 3,876
JeepNicholson, why do you say that? Not trying to argue, I was considering getting one.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #8
Kolak
Vendor
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,595
I disagree. They are of great value if you're constructing a performance exhaust. The stock converter is highly restrictive and a high flow converter can easily outflow it by 50%.

The point is to enhance our Jeeps and exhaust upgrades are a tried and true upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
High flow cats are pointless.
__________________
Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #9
Kingr98
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 302
I thought that it was going to be as easy as unclamping the old cat and sliding it off, then slide the new one on and clamp. I was very wrong.

For what its worth, for anyone looking to replace their cat with a direct fit, Walker has a great deal right now. There is a $40 rebate on their cats. Advance auto sells it online for $122. With a $40 off $100 code, you can get it for $82. With the $40 rebate, it makes it $42.

I will probably spend what I saved and more when I take it to a shop today to be installed. I don't have a torch or a sawzall. I started to try cutting it off with a hammer and chisel, but did not get very far.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:08 AM   #10
JeepNicholson
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Burbank, OH
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
JeepNicholson, why do you say that? Not trying to argue, I was considering getting one.
Short answer-
http://www.catalyticconverter.org/ne...erter-&News=89

IMO they are designed to make money flow out of your wallet more quickly, not much else.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector
 
newfieZJ's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: , Alberta
Posts: 6,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
High flow cats are pointless.
You should really put IMO at the end of that statement

Based on tests I have read , I don't see a lot of difference using a replacement HF cat . 2-3% tops . Not many here choose to do that . Most will upgrade to a larger diameter removing the reduction in pipe size between the cat and muffler . This creates 5-15% more HP than you can't get with a stock replacement cat . Doesn't make them pointless at all IMO .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #12
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector
 
newfieZJ's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: , Alberta
Posts: 6,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
Short answer-
http://www.catalyticconverter.org/ne...erter-&News=89

IMO they are designed to make money flow out of your wallet more quickly, not much else.
So you will run to the dealer to pay $3-500 for a cat vs getting it for under $100 . Who's flowing money out of my pocket now ? This article is biased . It's supported by the industry of car manufacturers who are , as you put it , "designed to make money flow out of your wallet more quickly"

I only replace them when needed , I am not going to stop using my cheaper replacements .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #13
JeepNicholson
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Burbank, OH
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post

You should really put IMO at the end of that statement

Based on tests I have read , I don't see a lot of difference using a replacement HF cat . 2-3% tops . Not many here choose to do that . Most will upgrade to a larger diameter removing the reduction in pipe size between the cat and muffler . This creates 5-15% more HP than you can't get with a stock replacement cat . Doesn't make them pointless at all IMO .
Got a link to those tests? Anyway, like I said, that was the short answer.

Neither I nor that site said to pay the dealer to install one, if you can get one cheap, by all means, get one cheap. My whole point is that there is no reason to pay extra money for something that isn't going to improve power or mileage. Raising the exhaust diameter is not the same as simply throwing on a "high flow" cat.
Even Magnaflow knows better than to label their cats as "high flow".
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector
 
newfieZJ's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: , Alberta
Posts: 6,266
Yea , I posted the links here before on a different thread . The debate was over removing the cat and performance differences . That's a few yrs back . That report had actual dyno numbers . I did my searching , you find it . I've already been through this .

Have you ever seen the inside of both a stock and a high-flow cat . In case you have not , and for others , let me explain . A stock cat is crammed full of catalyst . Recycling it yields $50 because it contains so much . Magna Flow , which I have seen inside of as well , consists of two 1/2-3/4" slices of catalyst on each end of the cat where the in/out openings are . You can see through them , the stock you will not see even a glimmer of light . Recyclers won't pay $0.05 for a Magna-Flow cat out of the box new .
Let's define "high flow" . Shall we say something that flows high than the normal rate ? Sounds close enough to me . What part of understanding that the term high flow applies to these cats do you not understand ? These HF cats are almost like a straight pipe because the have such little restriction

Fact : less restriction = more hp , regardless of how much , there will be an increase . If not true , there would be no reason for hearing protection at a drag strip .

Even replacing a stock cat with a direct fit high flow cat will get more power on the dyno . Most go with a bigger diameter on the outlet side only because stock reduces it down 1/4" right there for absolutely no apparent reason , on all ZJ's . Accompanying that would be a new muffler to match the new inlet dimension as most will opt to do at this time . You still retain the same cat inlet , and muffler outlet dimensions .

Where is all this "extra " money for a HF cat ??? I pay $67 for a Magna-Flow with free delivery . I get $50 for my old stock unit . Cat cost is $17 .

Ok , this is going way off topic here . Start your own thread and start the debate there . Get more than one biased article before you do
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #15
JeepNicholson
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Burbank, OH
Posts: 755
I wasn't debating anything until you started it. Just gave an opinion, because someone specifically asked for it.
Anyway, I guess you missed the part where I said even Magna flow doesn't call them "high flow".
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.