Help Me Put a Distributor On... - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help Me Put a Distributor On...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Reply
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
question4u92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nottingham, Pa
Posts: 32
Help Me Put a Distributor On...

So I'm only 16, and I do have a good of general mechanical know-how especially regarding Jeeps, but distributors are totally new to me...

I have a 4.7 stroker in my ZJ, and it's in the process of being reassembled, and I'm to the point where I'm doing things, I'm not so sure about by myself lol.

Could you guys help me out and tell me exactly how do I install this new distributor... I'll post pics if needed!

question4u92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
jabba974
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ionia, MI
Posts: 246
The best thing you could do is buy a repair manual, like Haynes...It will give you a good amount of info on repairs like what you are doing... But typically, you want the motor up to top dead center before you drop the distributer in...and set the position the rotor is facing as number 1 cylinder....
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
ZeeJay1997
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sweet Home, Alabama
Posts: 6,862
here is step by step from FSM. pics are linked within.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
question4u92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nottingham, Pa
Posts: 32
I'm so lost at where I'm suppose to find top dead center of the first piston. They mention to rotate the crankshaft until you feel pressure on your finger. So I feel pressure on my finger, but the piston isn't even all the way up yet.

Am I doing something wrong or what? Can someone start by telling me exactly how to find TDC, and from there how to install...
question4u92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
V65Ozzie
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilson, nc
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by question4u92 View Post
I'm so lost at where I'm suppose to find top dead center of the first piston. They mention to rotate the crankshaft until you feel pressure on your finger. So I feel pressure on my finger, but the piston isn't even all the way up yet.

Am I doing something wrong or what? Can someone start by telling me exactly how to find TDC, and from there how to install...
Get to piston number 1. stick finger over the hole, have engine rotated by hand until you feel pressure pushing your finger off, this is the compression stroke. I then use a pencil, put inside the spark plug hole, and rotate more until the pencil comes out no further and starts to drop, hold the pencil, so it slides out straight, then backup a tad and bring it back up again to get a "feel". Your #1 is now at top dead center. I used to have a whistler tool, but someone "borrowed" it. Install the distributor with the rotor button pointing to where it should be for number 1(you did mark it before you took it out, right?)
__________________
My ZJ has traction control, I call it my right foot.....
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
question4u92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nottingham, Pa
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post
Get to piston number 1. stick finger over the hole, have engine rotated by hand until you feel pressure pushing your finger off, this is the compression stroke. I then use a pencil, put inside the spark plug hole, and rotate more until the pencil comes out no further and starts to drop, hold the pencil, so it slides out straight, then backup a tad and bring it back up again to get a "feel". Your #1 is now at top dead center. I used to have a whistler tool, but someone "borrowed" it. Install the distributor with the rotor button pointing to where it should be for number 1(you did mark it before you took it out, right?)

I'm probably over complicating this, but when you say back it up, you mean just back it up until it hits the top again right? I was shining a bright light down into the block, and I can see when the piston starts to drop again....

As for the rotor button I have no clue lmfao... I'm not the one who took the old engine apart! xD
question4u92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
jm8881
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , California
Posts: 454
The easiest most surefire way I know that doesn't involve any guessing is to remove the valve cover and look at the #1 rockers. Turn the crankshaft until your timing lines line up at tdc and look at the rockers. At tdc compression both rockers should be at the same position. The valves should be closed, but the last valve to open and close should have been the intake valve indicating that you are at the top of the compression stroke.

If your intake valve just opened and closed and your harmonic balancer is lined up with your timing marks at 0*btdc then you're good to go.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
question4u92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nottingham, Pa
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
The easiest most surefire way I know that doesn't involve any guessing is to remove the valve cover and look at the #1 rockers. Turn the crankshaft until your timing lines line up at tdc and look at the rockers. At tdc compression both rockers should be at the same position. The valves should be closed, but the last valve to open and close should have been the intake valve indicating that you are at the top of the compression stroke.

If your intake valve just opened and closed and your harmonic balancer is lined up with your timing marks at 0*btdc then you're good to go.
How do I know if my harmonic balancer is lined up?
question4u92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
question4u92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nottingham, Pa
Posts: 32

Here's a picture of the gear, there's a small dot on it if you guys can make it out. When you guys talk about how to line up the distributor, do you mean that, that dot has to be facing piston 1? Or am I getting that wrong?

Also, is there a gasket that goes on the distributor?
question4u92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
jm8881
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , California
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by question4u92 View Post
How do I know if my harmonic balancer is lined up?
You're harmonic balance should have at least one timing mark on it, usually a line etched into it, that will line up with your timing marks on the timing chain cover.

Look at this link http://tomasz.korwel.net/2006/12/19/...s-40l-engines/
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
jm8881
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , California
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by question4u92 View Post
Here's a picture of the gear, there's a small dot on it if you guys can make it out. When you guys talk about how to line up the distributor, do you mean that, that dot has to be facing piston 1? Or am I getting that wrong?

Also, is there a gasket that goes on the distributor?
There is a gasket that seals the distributor.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
question4u92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nottingham, Pa
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
There is a gasket that seals the distributor.
You're really being a lifesaver man, thanks! That link you sent is rather helpful... I need pictures lol.
question4u92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
jm8881
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , California
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by question4u92 View Post
You're really being a lifesaver man, thanks! That link you sent is rather helpful... I need pictures lol.
No problem, glad I could help. Good luck on the project!

jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
question4u92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nottingham, Pa
Posts: 32
Alright so I'm just going to recap....

What I need to do is, get the engine to top dead center, by rotating the crankshaft until I feel the compression on my finger, and then I keep raising the cylinder until it reaches the top.

I then set the oil screw to about 11 o'clock.

From there I set the distributor in, and the cap has a "1" written on it literally. I set the "1" to where it's facing the number one cylinder. And I set the timing to 0 degrees.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm getting so lost where people are telling me you have to line your marks up, when I have a mark on the gear (not placed there by me), and there's a "1" stamped into the distributor cap.
question4u92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
OverlandZJ
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bristol, Pa
Posts: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by question4u92 View Post
Alright so I'm just going to recap....

What I need to do is, get the engine to top dead center, by rotating the crankshaft until I feel the compression on my finger, and then I keep raising the cylinder until it reaches the top.

I then set the oil screw to about 11 o'clock.

From there I set the distributor in, and the cap has a "1" written on it literally. I set the "1" to where it's facing the number one cylinder. And I set the timing to 0 degrees.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm getting so lost where people are telling me you have to line your marks up, when I have a mark on the gear (not placed there by me), and there's a "1" stamped into the distributor cap.

As your coming up with compression on #1 you can just align the harmonic balancer up with the 0 on timing cover. Lets assume the timing gears were set correctly by the rebuilder.

Take a look down the dist hole with a light, verify where the slot is on oil pump drive.. you can rotate it to where you need it with a long screwdriver.

Then drop the dist in, keeping in mind that the rotor will turn as the gear seats on the camshaft. If you find the rotor pointing past 1.. turn the rotor back a tad further as you start to drop it in..you can dial it in a tooth at a time. You will have already set the timing mark to 0 before you dropped the dist in.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.