help me fix this thing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > help me fix this thing

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Blown5pnt4
1997 ZJ 

help me fix this thing

My 97 4.0 zj has an intermittent stall thats driving me crazy. So far I've done the following

New cap
New rotor
New plugs
New msd coil
New air filter
New sensor in the distributor
Top end clean service from local shop
New battery

After all this it seemed to run amazing for a few days and now it's back to crap. I noticed the negative battery terminal looked a little mangled when swapping the battery so I'm thinking of changing that but not sure if it'll help. How many engine grounds are there ? where are they so I can try cleaning them ? Fairly confident its not the pcm as it was replaced 2years ago with a quality one as was the cps. I just want to stop wasting money on it. Lmk any suggestions. Thanks.

2001 F-150 Lightning #6065 of 6381 Built 08/09/01
Blown5pnt4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Always start with this:

12-things-you-can-do-when-your-zj-stalls

jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
CDRFunkmeyer
1994 ZJ 

No codes? yes I'd say the mangled negative battery cable could matter. The wiring harness should have it's own bolt in the bottom of the engine. Follow the harness back from the battery.
2" Lift, K&N Air Intake, rockrails, grillguard, full-rack, driving lights, hitchmount gas can/ spare carrier, Hydrogen Cell
CDRFunkmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
Blown5pnt4
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRFunkmeyer View Post
No codes? yes I'd say the mangled negative battery cable could matter. The wiring harness should have it's own bolt in the bottom of the engine. Follow the harness back from the battery.
The cables look good it was the terminal that was mangled looking. I put in new ones tonight as well as jiggled the pcm connections and swapped the fuel ppump relay. Seems good now but its done that before....
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Donnyd21
1998 ZJ 

Ecu
Donnyd21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

anytime a PCM behaves for a few days after a battery disconnect, then starts crapping out, it is highly suspect.

when does the stall occur? at idle, cruise, accel? what happens to the gauges? lights? if the cruise is on, does it turn off when the the stall occurs?

are any codes stored?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
anytime a PCM behaves for a few days after a battery disconnect, then starts crapping out, it is highly suspect.
This ^

The making and breaking of the battery power can't be good for the PCM....and I 've always suspected that it's ONE of the causes of PCM failure. It it makes you feel any better, I'm on my 5th PCM and so far, so good....

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
Blown5pnt4
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
This ^

The making and breaking of the battery power can't be good for the PCM....and I 've always suspected that it's ONE of the causes of PCM failure. It it makes you feel any better, I'm on my 5th PCM and so far, so good....
Ugh I don't know if I have it in me to go thru 5 pcms lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post

when does the stall occur? at idle, cruise, accel? what happens to the gauges? lights? if the cruise is on, does it turn off when the the stall occurs?

are any codes stored?
The stall generally happens after its been sitting for an extended amount of time. Like over night before work the next day. I can hit the remote start to warm it up for a few and it always starts right away. It normally then runs for around a minute then stalls itself. After a second for the remote start to reprime itself it starts and stays running till I get in it. Most of the time that's pretty much the end of it. But sometimes when Im driving to work, when Im approaching a red light on the brakes, it'll just die as if all power to everything was cut. Also sometimes When I get on it, like merging onto the highway or a busy road it'll stumble or die and very very rarely backfire. I don't know what else to replace.....Even though it was replaced I think a year or so ago Im starting to think it is the ecu again, but if I start it, and jiggle on the wires at the pcm it doesn't do anything. Doesn't force the stumble or make it run any smoother. Doesn't leave any check codes. Where is the best place to buy a PCM from ?
Unread 10-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I assume you've gone through Zeejay's list of 12 things to check?
( especially cleaning the throttle body and IAC )

Could still be the PCM, but disconnect the upper 02 sensor connector and see if anything changes. ( besides throwing a code for the sensor).

I am also assuming you have repaired the battery cables and cleaned and tightened all grounding points? ( battery, fender well, below the oil dipstick and below the coil)

Also check the crank sensor using this method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_kK6U8a64

As for where to get a PCM, you can PM Kolak here on the forum, or get an A1 Cardone brand from Oreilly's, etc. They run about $289 or so....give or take $50. But DO NOT buy one from either of those outfits in Florida !

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #10
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown5pnt4 View Post

The stall generally happens after its been sitting for an extended amount of time. Like over night before work the next day. I can hit the remote start to warm it up for a few and it always starts right away. It normally then runs for around a minute then stalls itself. After a second for the remote start to reprime itself it starts and stays running till I get in it. Most of the time that's pretty much the end of it. But sometimes when Im driving to work, when Im approaching a red light on the brakes, it'll just die as if all power to everything was cut. Also sometimes When I get on it, like merging onto the highway or a busy road it'll stumble or die and very very rarely backfire. I don't know what else to replace.....Even though it was replaced I think a year or so ago Im starting to think it is the ecu again, but if I start it, and jiggle on the wires at the pcm it doesn't do anything. Doesn't force the stumble or make it run any smoother. Doesn't leave any check codes. Where is the best place to buy a PCM from ?
Just a shot in the dark..........but have you thought to diag the remote start system???? Who installed it? A shop? You and a buddy? Are all the connections good?? Just a thought being its tied into the starting/ignition system.
ZJfamilyfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Could still be the PCM, but disconnect the upper 02 sensor connector and see if anything changes. ( besides throwing a code for the sensor).
O2 sensors can do some weird things . Most times , the issue develops during the warm up cycle where the PCM controls most everything on settings vs using the sensors . Case in hand , the 02 . One case I saw the jeep would go into convulsions for about 30-45 secs , run perfect before and after . Just one example . No CEL .

I'd have to try this before buying anything . A wanky 02 could be the issue . Should run fine with it disconnected , PCM will compensate .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
chalkboard
1997 ZJ 

Clean/Lube PCM connections

I too faced the stalling issue with my '97 4.0. For me, cleaning the pcm connections, both sides with deoxit, and then applying pin-head amounts of dialectic grease to the female side connectors resolved my issues. I didn't just smear the grease on the female side. I made sure it made it into each independent female lead. The connector face remained free of grease.

OldFrog and ZeeJay know much more than I do about this issue, but that is what worked for me. I actually traced my problem to the number 7 pin.

Good luck!
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJfamilyfun View Post
Just a shot in the dark..........but have you thought to diag the remote start system???? Who installed it? A shop? You and a buddy? Are all the connections good?? Just a thought being its tied into the starting/ignition system.
This crossed my mind also. When it's time to fish or cut bait, it would behoove you to disconnect the system and see if it's the problem. Any type of add on electronics on these things makes me nervous.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Your post above says it stalls when idling after a remote start and when braking. When I had a random stalling problem I finally noticed that it was only stalling when I didn't have my foot on the gas. I removed the throttle body and thoroughly cleaned it, including the IAC and the pocket under the IAC. It didn't stall again for a couple of years.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.