Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Help me decide my gearing please =]

930 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Az-Green 
#1 ·
1994 GC Laredo
5.2L V8
5.5 inches of lift (Going to the CLayton 7 inch LA ZJ lift)
Going to be running 33 MT's
I 4x4 at least once a month

I'm still running 3.73 gears though.. I'm almost afraid with the extra lift and tire size I'm adding that I'll lose a TON of capability by staying down at 3.73 gearing instead of jumping up (or going down if you wanna get technical).

I'm searching local JY's to find a D44 front and rear with 4.10's since that'll be cheaper and makes more sense than buying 4.10 gears to swap into my D30 front and D44A rear.

Like listed earlier, I do use this vehicle very often to go do trails or just mess around in the desert, but I also need to keep it as a daily driver, hence the reason I'm not wanting to jump into crazy gearing like 5+.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense or is really jumbled. I'm in the hospital still so I'm not all there.

Any ideas, tips, suggestions, money to fund the project (joking)?

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
3.73 will be OK. Chevy's and Ford's came with 3.42-3.55 gears with V8's and 235/75/15 (29") tires. My cousin wheeled a Z71 hard with 3.73's and 33's. His TBI 350 had similar power #'s as our V8 Zj's. He even wheeled 36's for a while. 4.10's would be like stock but not really worth the $$ to install. 4.56's would be great for a trail rig. My bro has a K5 Blazer with 4.56 gears and 33's and its nice. And dont forget a locker while yer in there. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
4.10's would be like stock but not really worth the $$ to install. 4.56's would be great for a trail rig. My bro has a K5 Blazer with 4.56 gears and 33's and its nice. And dont forget a locker while yer in there. :thumbsup:
Well the ONLY way I'd be getting 4.10's is if the axle swap I'm doing had a front and rear D44 with the 4.10's included. If not, I'd just replace my D30 ring and pinion.

That's the whole reason I'm even thinking of changing stuff up; because my current set is just about done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.