Help me decide - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help me decide

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Chrisj485

Help me decide

My front shocks are clunking pretty bad so I know its time for new ones. I figure what better time to get a lift kit than now. I first looked at Rock Road Outfitters, but read they have had some lousy customer service issues so I suppose I will stay away from them. I'd like maybe a 3" lift. I will need shocks as well so if the kit includes them that is a plus. I have a budget of around $600. I will have to buy tires in a couple weeks when I get some more money, but for now I can get the lift. What do you guys recommend for my budget?

Chrisj485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Shocks do not clunk but they get spongy. In other words the ride starts to feel as if you are in a 1975 Cadillac. However if the upper or lower shock mounts are loose then it will clunk. So look around you may have a different issue that you may to fix first.

I cannot comment on the lift stuff but many others here can.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

try tightening the shocks first.

does the $600 budget include tires?

Iron Rock makes a popular 3" lift, although its fairly new
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
ajmorell

Check in the FAQ for the F->R lift, it will save you a lot of money and you will still be able to get a decent set of shocks for under $600
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Chrisj485

I will try and tighten the shocks...the sound is only coming from the passenger side. And no, the budget is just for the lift, I would have to purchase the tires in the next couple weeks. Thanks for the input so far.
Unread 02-28-2007, 07:12 AM   #6
Chrisj485

Can someone fill me in on the exact shock mount locations so I can hopefully fix the clunking problem tonight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.