Help Me Build My Exhaust! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help Me Build My Exhaust!

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 04-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Help Me Build My Exhaust!

Before I get started on my exhaust, I still need to put in my 99+ intake and my "703" injectors that are all sitting at home.

But, while I'm doing the intake I will be a doing a header while I'm there. I was talking to a guy that lives like 10 mins from me in IL, he has a buld thread here about his turbo. For a header he is using a header from a TJ. I was thinking that a header from a WJ would work to, no? I want that specific header bc I want to build a Y pipe.

Obviously my Y pipe is going to be custom. My goal is to make the whole exhaust 2.5" from the the Y pipe all the way out back.

Since I am bulding a custom Y pipe, I have 2 questions: Should I go with a merge that is 2.5" inlet and the outlet is 3", or should I do 2.5" inlet and outlet? Same thing goes for my hi flow cat. Do I want 2.5" in/out or 3" in/out?

Now onto a catback. I do not want crapmaster, it is exaclty that.. CRAP.. LOL.. What is a good 2.5" catback? I could even jsut buy a 2.5" or 3" muffler and make my own cat back. I heard a sound clip from Squazzs Jeep, he has a Thrush Weld muffler, sounded really good. This is my DD, if I want loud that is when I pull my 2002 Trans Am with H/C/I out of the garage

So basically should my piping for my exhasut be a combo of 2.5" and 3", straight 2.5" (but nothing will mate together unless I expand the pipe a little) or straight 3" which is prolly overkill.

All I want to do is gain a little power out of my Jeep. This thing is soooooo damn slow. Hency why I am doing the 99+ intake and injectors with a good header and free flowing exhaust.

Some input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

I built a nasty 4.0 on my first zj.

The header I used went into a single pipe at the end.

If you are talking about using a y-pipe on the 4.0, is this the style of header you are talking about?
Different Style of 4.0 Header

That is new to me, looks like it could really help torque.

Now if it were me, I would use a y-pipe with the same size inlet as the outlets on the header. IIRC it's about 2" or just under. I would have a 2.5" outlet on the merge pipe, running 2.5" piping w/ 2.5" inlets/outlets for the muffler and cat.

I ran a cheap ebay header and cat w/ a dynomax muffler. I added a big tip(3.5-4") on the end, it gave it a nice low growl.

3" is way to big for a 4.0.
Unread 04-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

they are slower but I was told 2.5 " is optimal for that motor by a mechanic. He said the 3 inch is overkill. I would want to believe him because my gto exhaust is only 3" and good up to 700 hp before having to go bigger. I made my exhaust short and out the side because the p.o before me put a regular Cherokee tailpipe and I was having clearance issues. I went with a chepo thrush turbo muff and she sounds like a tractor......lol

paulyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

clip
http://s1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/paulyboy96zj/jeep/?action=view¤t=GEDC0704.mp4
Unread 04-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
torchd
1998 ZJ 

This is the header that I am looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140722028194...84.m1432.l2649

I agree that 3" is way too big and is overkill. 2.5" would be perfect. My Trans Am is 3" from the LTs to the c/b and everything in between

This is my plan: Custom Y with a nice flowmaster merge into a magnaflow hi flow metallic high spun cat into (insert c/b here)

Again I jsut want a nice tone and to gain som RWHP/RWTQ

Unread 04-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

dam thats pricy why go to the newer design? Im actually ordering a header this week to fix my cracked one and am looking at this one on e bay. Seems to copy the rugged ridge one they sell. And its only like 125.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310394037118...84.m1423.l2649
Unread 04-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaLorde View Post
I built a nasty 4.0 on my first zj.

The header I used went into a single pipe at the end.

If you are talking about using a y-pipe on the 4.0, is this the style of header you are talking about?
Different Style of 4.0 Header

That is new to me, looks like it could really help torque.

Now if it were me, I would use a y-pipe with the same size inlet as the outlets on the header. IIRC it's about 2" or just under. I would have a 2.5" outlet on the merge pipe, running 2.5" piping w/ 2.5" inlets/outlets for the muffler and cat.

I ran a cheap ebay header and cat w/ a dynomax muffler. I added a big tip(3.5-4") on the end, it gave it a nice low growl.

3" is way to big for a 4.0.
What was your exhaust set up?

Unread 04-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyboy View Post
dam thats pricy why go to the newer design? Im actually ordering a header this week to fix my cracked one and am looking at this one on e bay. Seems to copy the rugged ridge one they sell. And its only like 125.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310394037118...84.m1423.l2649
With a single collector you cannot run a Y pipe. The new design has to 2 collectors so that I can yun a Y pipe set up.

I couldn't use a Y pipe with the header in your link

Unread 04-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

i know but why go two back to one when all you need is 2.5 all the way?
Unread 04-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

for instance i had an import at one time and bought the 4 into 1 racing headers. They were great but when they rusted out I replaced them with a 4 into 2 into 1 design and noticed the lack of power right away.
Unread 04-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
i know but why go two back to one when all you need is 2.5 all the way?
Quote:
for instance i had an import at one time and bought the 4 into 1 racing headers. They were great but when they rusted out I replaced them with a 4 into 2 into 1 design and noticed the lack of power right away.
With 2 merge collectors, 2.5" exhaust piping and good merge collector on the Y pipe, there shouldn't be any reason to see a gain in RWHP/RWTQ. Plus a Y pipe has 2 pipes that are 2.5" vs. a single pipe at 2.5". You will see an increase in exhaust scavenging thus creating more power. At least in theory

Unread 04-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

yeah but after the y your still going into a 2.5 inch single pipe. I fyou were to bring two pipes right to the muffler then I would say yeah that should work But for all that money on a theory isn't worth it for me personaly. Just asking but do you have supported dyno hp with this setup? You got me curious now lol. I would want believe that the banks revolver header being 6 into 1 would yield better hp tq.
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
yeah but after the y your still going into a 2.5 inch single pipe. I fyou were to bring two pipes right to the muffler then I would say yeah that should work But for all that money on a theory isn't worth it for me personaly. Just asking but do you have supported dyno hp with this setup? You got me curious now lol. I would want believe that the banks revolver header being 6 into 1 would yield better hp tq.
True, but with the (2) 2.5" pipes going into a merge, you're going to have more velocity and better scavenging affect vs. 1 single 2.5" pipe.

Well my theory is coming from my Trans Am. I make with this set up 420 RWHP and 385 RWTQ.

My exhaust is as follows:

QTP 1 3/4" x 3" LTs + Custom Kooks 3" O/R Y Pipe + 3" x 3.5" Flowmaster Merge + 3" x 3" x 25" Powerstick Bullet Muffler + DMH 3" E-CutOut + GMMG Catback

Unread 04-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

that's pretty much same way my gto exhaust is set up also with slp headers and corsa exhaust

Unread 04-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

dam now im unsure about getting that header now......Like u i want to make as much useful hp with this thing as possible without breaking the bank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.