HELP, Looking to buy a 94 Limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP, Looking to buy a 94 Limited

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 05-07-2004, 11:05 AM   #1
zizux

HELP, Looking to buy a 94 Limited

I curently have a 91 4runner, which I will be selling. My goal for getting a new suv is something I can use as an suv, tow my race car with. And have fun off road in.

I was looking at a 94 Yukon, well its still pretty high on my list.

But I found a 94 Grand Cherokee Limited for has 134k on it. About the same price. The reason I would rather get the jeep is because its much "nicer" if you know what I mean. And belive it or not it will probably get better mpg.

But I have heard they they have all sorts of problems. Is there any truth to this? What are common problems? Major problems or just little things. From the little bit of reading I have done it seems like alot of owners freak out when they have to replace a fuel pump.

Anyway I am gona look at it tonight, Suggestions, what to look for?

zizux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Atwater10
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hello, You'll probably get a mixed-bag of comments on the ZJ's.

The first one I bought was a '93 limited 5.2L w/QuadraTrac. It
only had 28,000 miles and ran like a top. I did do regular service
ie: oil every 3500 mi trans @ 28000 (complete change w/filter) and
transfusions at 50,000 and 70,000.....Never had any problem with the tranny. Alas........I sold it in Feb. with 79,000 miles and the family just loves it!!

I would check: Tranny fluid color and smell (burnt), unusual tire
wear, and take it for a drive (if QuadraTrac equipped) make some slow hard turns on pavement in a parking lot. Feel for any 'hopping' such as you would get in 4WD on dry pavement.

That happened on mine and it turned out to be the 'viscous coupler' that attaches the front diff to the transfercase. The part is close to 500 bucks and requires some labor to install (fortunately the guy who bought mine is a professional mechanic)

I used to get around 20 ish miles per gallon on mine and it would tow about anything that I could attach to it.

Good luck on your quest.

Chuck
'94 YJ 2.5L/5sp - White Jeep Club #55

Last edited by Atwater10; 05-07-2004 at 12:10 PM..
Atwater10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
zizux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater10
Hello, You'll probably get a mixed-bag of comments on the ZJ's.

The first one I bought was a '93 limited 5.2L w/QuadraTrac. It
only had 28,000 miles and ran like a top. I did do regular service
ie: oil every 3500 mi trans @ 28000 (complete change w/filter) and
transfusions at 50,000 and 70,000.....Never had any problem with the tranny. Alas........I sold it in Feb. with 79,000 miles and the family just loves it!!

I would check: Tranny fluid color and smell (burnt), unusual tire
wear, and take it for a drive (if QuadraTrac equipped) make some slow hard turns on pavement in a parking lot. Feel for any 'hopping' such as you would get in 4WD on dry pavement.

That happened on mine and it turned out to be the 'viscous coupler' that attaches the front diff to the transfercase. The part is close to 500 bucks and requires some labor to install (fortunately the guy who bought mine is a professional mechanic)

I used to get around 20 ish miles per gallon on mine and it would tow about anything that I could attach to it.

Good luck on your quest.

Chuck
Yeah I have had some people tell me they loved them and some people tell me they are a PITA. Given the options, I am very seriously concidering the JEEP.

I just got off the phone with a guy that had one, and while I don't expect it to never have any problems I just don't want to get into something that is commonly a lemon

I allready have two broken down cars, *the car I race, a bmw 325 that needs a computer and my 4runner will be joining them soon I am afraid. I think if I can get 40k out of this without having to spend a fortune I'll be set
Unread 05-07-2004, 03:33 PM   #4
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizux
Yeah I have had some people tell me they loved them and some people tell me they are a PITA. Given the options, I am very seriously concidering the JEEP.

I just got off the phone with a guy that had one, and while I don't expect it to never have any problems I just don't want to get into something that is commonly a lemon

I allready have two broken down cars, *the car I race, a bmw 325 that needs a computer and my 4runner will be joining them soon I am afraid. I think if I can get 40k out of this without having to spend a fortune I'll be set
I wouldn't characterize the Grand as a lemon model. However, if not properly maintained, it can certainly behave as one. It is not uncommon for highly skilled mechanics to put Dexron III fluid in the transmission. This is a sure way to sideline this vehicle. Another common problem appears to be the plastic fuel tank found on 96's, though I haven't had any problem with mine (knock on wood). Also, the viscous coupler in the Quadra-Trac works well, but will not stand up to a lot of abuse. Heavy accelleration will shorten the life of this particular transfer case significantly. Having said all that, I have owned many cars and trucks over the years, but have never liked any of them nearly as much as I do this Jeep.
Unread 05-07-2004, 04:13 PM   #5
Atwater10
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have owned many cars and trucks over the years, but have never liked any of them nearly as much as I do this Jeep.
Amen......Couldn't have said it better.

Chuck
'94 YJ 2.5L/5sp - White Jeep Club #55
Atwater10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2004, 02:14 AM   #6
demtjcj

go with the gc. i have 178k on mine(6cyl) and no major expenses at all. and it is still running great. good luck and make sure you check over the vehicle

dan

1977 full size cherokee-401 v8, quadratrac dana 44s

prev. jeeps: 98TJ on 33s, 00TJ on 35s, 01TJ on 35s, 78CJ on 31s, 85XJ stock, 94ZJ stock, 97 TJ on 35s, 03 on 35s, 93 GC on 33s
demtjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2004, 11:43 AM   #7
zizux

well I drove it last night, it looked to be in decent shape. But there was a slight ticking sound while acceletating. I think it might be a spark plug wire arking... But couldn't tell 100% for sure.

Also the TC leaks. But I might go check out another one today.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.