HELP, Looking to buy a 94 Limited - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-07-2004, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
zizux
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3
HELP, Looking to buy a 94 Limited

I curently have a 91 4runner, which I will be selling. My goal for getting a new suv is something I can use as an suv, tow my race car with. And have fun off road in.

I was looking at a 94 Yukon, well its still pretty high on my list.

But I found a 94 Grand Cherokee Limited for has 134k on it. About the same price. The reason I would rather get the jeep is because its much "nicer" if you know what I mean. And belive it or not it will probably get better mpg.

But I have heard they they have all sorts of problems. Is there any truth to this? What are common problems? Major problems or just little things. From the little bit of reading I have done it seems like alot of owners freak out when they have to replace a fuel pump.

Anyway I am gona look at it tonight, Suggestions, what to look for?

zizux is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 05-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Atwater10
Registered User
 
Atwater10's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Oakhurst, CA
Posts: 59
Hello, You'll probably get a mixed-bag of comments on the ZJ's.

The first one I bought was a '93 limited 5.2L w/QuadraTrac. It
only had 28,000 miles and ran like a top. I did do regular service
ie: oil every 3500 mi trans @ 28000 (complete change w/filter) and
transfusions at 50,000 and 70,000.....Never had any problem with the tranny. Alas........I sold it in Feb. with 79,000 miles and the family just loves it!!

I would check: Tranny fluid color and smell (burnt), unusual tire
wear, and take it for a drive (if QuadraTrac equipped) make some slow hard turns on pavement in a parking lot. Feel for any 'hopping' such as you would get in 4WD on dry pavement.

That happened on mine and it turned out to be the 'viscous coupler' that attaches the front diff to the transfercase. The part is close to 500 bucks and requires some labor to install (fortunately the guy who bought mine is a professional mechanic)

I used to get around 20 ish miles per gallon on mine and it would tow about anything that I could attach to it.

Good luck on your quest.

Chuck

'94 YJ 2.5L/5sp - White Jeep Club #55

Last edited by Atwater10; 05-07-2004 at 12:10 PM.
Atwater10 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 05-07-2004, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
zizux
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater10
Hello, You'll probably get a mixed-bag of comments on the ZJ's.

The first one I bought was a '93 limited 5.2L w/QuadraTrac. It
only had 28,000 miles and ran like a top. I did do regular service
ie: oil every 3500 mi trans @ 28000 (complete change w/filter) and
transfusions at 50,000 and 70,000.....Never had any problem with the tranny. Alas........I sold it in Feb. with 79,000 miles and the family just loves it!!

I would check: Tranny fluid color and smell (burnt), unusual tire
wear, and take it for a drive (if QuadraTrac equipped) make some slow hard turns on pavement in a parking lot. Feel for any 'hopping' such as you would get in 4WD on dry pavement.

That happened on mine and it turned out to be the 'viscous coupler' that attaches the front diff to the transfercase. The part is close to 500 bucks and requires some labor to install (fortunately the guy who bought mine is a professional mechanic)

I used to get around 20 ish miles per gallon on mine and it would tow about anything that I could attach to it.

Good luck on your quest.

Chuck
Yeah I have had some people tell me they loved them and some people tell me they are a PITA. Given the options, I am very seriously concidering the JEEP.

I just got off the phone with a guy that had one, and while I don't expect it to never have any problems I just don't want to get into something that is commonly a lemon

I allready have two broken down cars, *the car I race, a bmw 325 that needs a computer and my 4runner will be joining them soon I am afraid. I think if I can get 40k out of this without having to spend a fortune I'll be set
zizux is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 05-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Meerkat
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Belle, WV
Posts: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizux
Yeah I have had some people tell me they loved them and some people tell me they are a PITA. Given the options, I am very seriously concidering the JEEP.

I just got off the phone with a guy that had one, and while I don't expect it to never have any problems I just don't want to get into something that is commonly a lemon

I allready have two broken down cars, *the car I race, a bmw 325 that needs a computer and my 4runner will be joining them soon I am afraid. I think if I can get 40k out of this without having to spend a fortune I'll be set
I wouldn't characterize the Grand as a lemon model. However, if not properly maintained, it can certainly behave as one. It is not uncommon for highly skilled mechanics to put Dexron III fluid in the transmission. This is a sure way to sideline this vehicle. Another common problem appears to be the plastic fuel tank found on 96's, though I haven't had any problem with mine (knock on wood). Also, the viscous coupler in the Quadra-Trac works well, but will not stand up to a lot of abuse. Heavy accelleration will shorten the life of this particular transfer case significantly. Having said all that, I have owned many cars and trucks over the years, but have never liked any of them nearly as much as I do this Jeep.

Warren
Black 1996 5.2L ZJ Limited
Meerkat is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 05-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Atwater10
Registered User
 
Atwater10's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Oakhurst, CA
Posts: 59
Quote:
I have owned many cars and trucks over the years, but have never liked any of them nearly as much as I do this Jeep.
Amen......Couldn't have said it better.

Chuck

'94 YJ 2.5L/5sp - White Jeep Club #55
Atwater10 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 05-08-2004, 02:14 AM
demtjcj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: greensburg, pa
Posts: 361
go with the gc. i have 178k on mine(6cyl) and no major expenses at all. and it is still running great. good luck and make sure you check over the vehicle

dan

2004- Wrangler X stock

1977 full size cherokee-401 v8, quadratrac dana 44s

prev. jeeps: 98TJ on 33s, 00TJ on 35s, 01TJ on 35s, 78CJ on 31s, 85XJ stock, 94ZJ stock, 97 TJ on 35s, 03 on 35s, 93 GC on 33s
demtjcj is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 05-08-2004, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
zizux
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3
well I drove it last night, it looked to be in decent shape. But there was a slight ticking sound while acceletating. I think it might be a spark plug wire arking... But couldn't tell 100% for sure.

Also the TC leaks. But I might go check out another one today.
zizux is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Commander Limited vs GrandCherokee Limited belezeeubub WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 20 02-08-2006 01:43 PM
2000 WJ Limited vs. 1999 WJ Limited, which one? blizzboy283 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 7 10-04-2005 09:19 PM
2001 Limited Grille on '99 Limited TSFSU ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 9 07-01-2005 08:35 AM
Grafting 04 Limited bumper section onto a 97 ZJ Limited josephmartins ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 1 01-12-2005 10:44 PM
trading GC Limited for cherokee limited stant52 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 0 08-11-2002 08:24 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome