Help, Leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help, Leaking

Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-05-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
TheAngus
1998 ZJ 

Help, Leaking

hey everyone,my tailgate is leaking water everytime it rains and ive already lost about 100 dollars of tools back there to rust from the leak. Does anyone know what could cause this leak and how i could fix it?????

(it looks like the leak is right where the tailgate joins the roof)

thanks,
cory

TheAngus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Look at the weather striping and see if it is still there, torn, rotted, holes, etc...OR it could be leaking in from the roof rack holes in which case you remove the screws, put a generous amount of sealant down, and reinsert screws.
Unread 07-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
Tomcatta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'd take a look in the access panel behind your spare (passengers side). There is a drain hose inside that can become dislocated. Instead of draining out the hole in the bottom of the quarter, it will drain to the interior causing your cargo area carpet to become soaked. There is also a valve in that hole in the bottom of the quarter that can get clogged causing outside water to enter from underneath or an overflow condition from water draining inside. To test, run some water in your outside vents behind your glass in cargo area.
Unread 07-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
TheAngus
1998 ZJ 

the water isnt coming and soaking the carpet, its coming in and dripping from the top where the tailgate and roof connect because its getting all over the tops of things, it looks to me like the weatherstripping there is fine, no rotting, holes, or anything

thanks,
cory
Unread 07-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
wmchurch

I had this happen to me, first thing is to clean that channel up there real good (behind the weatherstripping). Mine was holding water because of some pine needles up there and I think it was leaking back into the grommet for the wiper and 3rd brake light because in the car wash it looked like it was leaking out of the cargo light. While I cleaned that up, I got some RTV (just what I happened to have), pulled the weather stripping back along the top and put some RTV on the edge and pushed the weather stripping back on. I also pulled the grommet out for the electrical connection from the jeep to the lift gate and put a little RTV around that hole as well. It's been at least a year and it's been dry as a bone. I've kept up on keeping that cleaned out though.

If there is any rust around there, I'd sand it down and put some paint on it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8eRdUdE56876
ive already lost about 100 dollars of tools back there to rust from the leak
Man, sounds like a torrential downpour if that's happening. My carpet was just a little wet, but I could definitely see it coming in at the car wash.
wmchurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
TheAngus
1998 ZJ 

lets just say weve been gettin ridiculous amounts of rain in northern virginia, i took my jeep out today on some trails and it was pouring like some sh_t. its been like that for 2 weeks. i assume they sell rtv at like advance auto parts right?

thanks
Unread 07-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
wmchurch

Yeah, you can use that, silicone, butyl, whatever. It will all work, it doesn't have to hold the water back forever. I'd use something that will come off fairly easy though, don't want to keep it on there if you have a bad seal or something later on down the road.

BTW, 100th post. woohoo!

wmchurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.