HELP!!!!!!!!!JeepGrad 93 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP!!!!!!!!!JeepGrad 93

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-25-2005, 04:44 PM   #1
ohboy21

HELP!!!!!!!!!JeepGrad 93

can someone tell me or show with picks were the starter is and how to take it off????? TIA

ohboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
mr_user

The starter on the 4.0L, which I will assume you have, is connected to the bellhousing of the motor on the passenger side. It is a long cylinder with a smaller cylinder on the top. If you can not find it, trace one of the red cables from the battery as that goes down to the starter. It is one of the easiest repairs on the 4.0, as their are two bolts and the power connections. One bolt on top, one on bottom, cable to ground, and positive feed cable from the battery.

Matt

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
a70eliminator

Starter

Sorry I can't show you any picks, But I can tell you it's down there by the flywheel. and there's a wire that goes to it too.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
ohboy21

I appreciate the help i think i found it it kinda looks like a coke can next to the oil pan
Unread 01-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
JdawgZJ

well from what i saw the mechanic dude was playing with the starter and it was under the car somewhere
[COLOR=Red][/COLOR][URL=http://myspace-196.vo.llnwd.net/00212/69/11/212361196_l.jpg][COLOR=navy][B][SIZE=3]Me[/SIZE][/B][/color][/URL] (updated 9/05/05 lol)
[B][COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club member #256[/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]
JdawgZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2005, 09:36 PM   #6
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Are you sure that the starter requires removal? For all I know, maybe you just like pulling it on and off every so often for kicks. In this cold weather, I would suspect the battery over a starter in relation to hard starts, unless you are in Miami.

Kent
kentman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2005, 09:56 PM   #7
mr_user

That was my next question, why do you need it off?

I mean i don't want to sound judgemental but what are you going to do with it when you get it off if you couldn't locate it?

Matt

Unread 01-25-2005, 11:54 PM   #8
ohboy21

I already checked the battery took to get tested and it was a good battery when the key is in the on postion and i try to cranck it it clicks once thats it. a buddy told me it could be the starter if the battery was fine
Unread 01-26-2005, 12:11 AM   #9
matt.x
1995 ZJ 

sounds like my problem. do the lights dim?

my starter would just click, and yea, it was the starter ... its not hard to replace, but this was a few months ago before I started learning how to work on the ole Jeep (HINT: get a Haynes manual...). Its all of 3 bolts....

Matt
Red Jeep Club Member #237
matt.x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 10:24 AM   #10
ohboy21

friend told me to knock on the starter and it worked car started right up gears must have got stuck thanks for all the feedback
Unread 01-26-2005, 10:50 AM   #11
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy21
friend told me to knock on the starter and it worked car started right up gears must have got stuck thanks for all the feedback
It could be the starter solinoid. If it has gone bad that might explain the one click. Other possible problems include bad connection or corroded electric cable from battery, worn out starter brushes. All are pretty easy to fix or replace.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #12
mr_user

Nice!

You're still going to want to change the starter though, tapping on it is good for a 150-crank bandage fix, but you're going to be running into the same problem possibly worse down the road. Get a refurbished starter from Advance Auto I've seen them going for less than 60 bucks.

Unread 01-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #13
ohboy21

Hey matt i have another problem near the manafold on the right side where the gas is feed to the engine there is a leak a small drip every 2 sec i dont know the name of the part is there a diagram of pic of the engine somewere so i can find out the name so i can buy the part?
Unread 01-26-2005, 11:23 AM   #14
mr_user

I PM'd ya,

keep us posted.

Unread 01-26-2005, 03:46 PM   #15
ohboy21

it was the fuel presure regulator got a new one popped it in no leak i still appreceate the help thank you very much

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.