Help with Jeep not holding fuel rail pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help with Jeep not holding fuel rail pressure

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Reply
Unread 05-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Suzanna801
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 5
Help with Jeep not holding fuel rail pressure

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to get suggestions or answers for a problem with my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L. I have been having a problem with the engine not firing unless cranked a few times, we were told by an auto shop that we needed a new fuel pump. My boyfriend dropped the tank and installed a new pump today, but it did not fix the problem.

I have very, very limited funds right now due to having lost my job, so I'm hoping to get some directions on what we can check and hopefully solve this problem ourselves. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

__________________
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.2
Suzanna801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
TallyZJ
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna801 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am hoping to get suggestions or answers for a problem with my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L. I have been having a problem with the engine not firing unless cranked a few times, we were told by an auto shop that we needed a new fuel pump. My boyfriend dropped the tank and installed a new pump today, but it did not fix the problem.

I have very, very limited funds right now due to having lost my job, so I'm hoping to get some directions on what we can check and hopefully solve this problem ourselves. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
This doesn't totally explain your issue. Your title said "Not holding fuel pressure". Your explanation of the issue doesn't mention fuel pressure at all. You just say you have to crank it over a few times before it starts. If the fuel pump itself had been bad it likely would not have started at all.

All Jeeps have to spin over a few times before they crank up and run. This allows the ECU to register all the data it needs then allow spark and fuel to ignite.

Have you physically checked fuel pressure? Does it hold?

Does it eventually crank and run? How does it run? Good bad? Does it run better cold or when hot? Does it crank and start better when cold or after sitting or when still warm from previous running?



If you are not holding fuel pressure at the rail it can only be one or two of a few things.

- Fuel pressure regulator is bad (this is sometimes part of the fuel pump assembly which should have been replaced as a complete assembly, not just a pump module)

- On the fuel rail pressure regulator (this is a bell shaped regulator that is on the fuel rail itself. Check it for gas leaks)

- Injectors are leaking down into the cylinders

- Other fuel system leak somewhere
__________________
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 - 4.0L
Capital City Jeepers
Build Thread Here
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Grand_ZJ
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,044
My ZJ didn't hold pressure at the rail either. It would start eventually. The problem was my fuel pump was bad.

Sent from my DROIDX using JeepForum
__________________
1996 XJ Sport
Grand_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
classicmetalman
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 457
Tr y this:
Next time you try to start, cycle the key to "on" twice and on the third time try to start. Does it fire right up? Do you hear the pump prime for a couple of seconds each time? Should.
Check your fuel pressure. Rent a gauge from the parts store ($ back on return) Running, pressure should be around 40PSI. Leave gauge hooked up and shut down Jeep. Let it cool down, there shouldn't be a significant loss in pressure. If there is, as mentioned earlier, you could have a couple of possibilities. Leaky injector or bad regulator being a few.
Leaking injector: pull the plugs and check their condition. Is it running rough? Could have a fouled plug because of leak.
If all the plugs look decent, could be a bad regulator. IIRC, yours should be on the rail.
Have you checked for an actual leak? Post back with your findings
HTH
__________________
Robert
93 Laredo 4.0
96 Limited 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Suzanna801
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 5
Well, I am not a mechanic so I apologize that my wording was incorrect.

I was told by the auto shop that it was not holding fuel pressure and that I needed a new fuel pump. He did not mention a specific number for the pressure. A few months back we were having some roughness issues and in the process of diagnosing that we did check the pressure ourselves and it read slightly lower than what the specs said it should be at; I do not remember the exact numbers.

I have owned this Jeep for about 6 years now, and it has never taken more than a couple of seconds to fire up. Now I have to crank the key 2 to 3 times for 4 or 5 seconds each time before it fires. Once started it runs just fine, smooth and no hesitations. When I go to the store for a few items, it usually has a slight cranking issue again, but not as pronounced as after it sit for hours.

We have replaced the fuel regulator and the filter as well, before we replaced the fuel pump. If there is any other information you may need, I'll do my best to post it. I need suggestions, and possibly explanations, of what and/or how to check things that may cause this issue.
__________________
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.2
Suzanna801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Suzanna801
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 5
Thank you Robert! You posted as I was replying so I didn't see it until now. We will check these things and report back!
__________________
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.2
Suzanna801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
classicmetalman
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna801 View Post
Thank you Robert! You posted as I was replying so I didn't see it until now. We will check these things and report back!
Your welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna801 View Post
I have owned this Jeep for about 6 years now, and it has never taken more than a couple of seconds to fire up. Now I have to crank the key 2 to 3 times for 4 or 5 seconds each time before it fires. Once started it runs just fine, smooth and no hesitations. When I go to the store for a few items, it usually has a slight cranking issue again, but not as pronounced as after it sit for hours.
Yea, sure sounds like your losing pressure. Get the gauge and check to verify. Heck, look for a leak first, FREE n EZ!
__________________
Robert
93 Laredo 4.0
96 Limited 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
TallyZJ
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna801 View Post
Well, I am not a mechanic so I apologize that my wording was incorrect.

I was told by the auto shop that it was not holding fuel pressure and that I needed a new fuel pump. He did not mention a specific number for the pressure. A few months back we were having some roughness issues and in the process of diagnosing that we did check the pressure ourselves and it read slightly lower than what the specs said it should be at; I do not remember the exact numbers.

I have owned this Jeep for about 6 years now, and it has never taken more than a couple of seconds to fire up. Now I have to crank the key 2 to 3 times for 4 or 5 seconds each time before it fires. Once started it runs just fine, smooth and no hesitations. When I go to the store for a few items, it usually has a slight cranking issue again, but not as pronounced as after it sit for hours.

We have replaced the fuel regulator and the filter as well, before we replaced the fuel pump. If there is any other information you may need, I'll do my best to post it. I need suggestions, and possibly explanations, of what and/or how to check things that may cause this issue.
No need to apologize. It is just that diagnosis is hard enough through the internet forums and is especially hard without a lot of details.

Sure sounds like the fuel pressure regulator is not letting pressure hold after it is shut down.

I would ask if you know what brand pump was installed? Was it just the pump or did he replace the entire assembly? If he used an Airtex brand pump or assembly then I am afraid you will likely be doing it all over again. Airtex is junk!


I recommend AC Delco replacement pump and do the entire assembly at once. It is more money but is well worth it in the long run.
__________________
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 - 4.0L
Capital City Jeepers
Build Thread Here
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,801
You will lose pressure over time from sitting. That's why the system primes at startup.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.
 
ratmonkey's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: , Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyZJ View Post
This doesn't totally explain your issue. Your title said "Not holding fuel pressure". Your explanation of the issue doesn't mention fuel pressure at all. You just say you have to crank it over a few times before it starts. If the fuel pump itself had been bad it likely would not have started at all.
that is the symptom of not holding static fuel pressure when not running. the cause is a bad check valve in the fuel pump assembly. the assembly should be replaced as a whole and not just the pump portion.
easy check for the reg is to remove the vac line and check the pressure at idle.
__________________
'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.