Help Jeep Bucking/ Power Loss - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help Jeep Bucking/ Power Loss

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-03-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
princessjen

Help Jeep Bucking/ Power Loss

undefinedundefinedundefined I have a serious problem with my jeep grand cherokee... 1996 V8 Limited edition. 2 weeks ago it would not start, so I took the starter down and it was bad. I replaced the starter and found the battery was bad, so I replaced that. Immediately following my jeep began to make these big jerking/ bucking actions when I would go into higher rpm's on the highway... I only noticed it when I would try to accelerate fast. I have cleaned the injectors, throttle body, put a new solenoid in, new fuel filter, tested the fuel pressure, cleaned the gas tank, put new spark plugs in. I hooked the car up to check the computer for diagnostic codes and there were none. We also checked the car for codes while driving it while making it act up and none. On Monday I drove it and noticed the ABS light came on for awhile and I could hear the fuel pump humming so I rechecked it when I got home of course by then there was no humming and no light on and the test was normal. Also, Monday the car died while idling in a friends drive way with large knocks under the hood before it shut off. When I went to accelerate on the high way it would barely move it began bucking and then I had to shut it off and it restarted fine and made it home... I did this check immediately following this. I rechecked the fuel pressure it was fine! Now what? Could it be the fuel pump since it was humming? or is it the Governor Pressure Sensor? I am lost? Maybe the EGR VALVE? I have put tons of money into this already! I don't see the point of taking it to a shop when the machine will not pick anything up. Any suggestions... the reason I have not taken steps to replace the Governor Pressure Sensor is because it still bucks when the radio and etc. are off? THanks a bunch!!!

princessjen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
princessjen

Forgot to add...

Also, when you push on the gas and it begins bucking it sounds like some kind of rattling noise under the glove box... and when it would hardly move it made the big huge knocking/banging noises under the hood every time I pushed on the gas! THanks again!
princessjen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
caligal05

This may sound kinda stupid but I had some weird things go on with my jeep about a year ago. First a new battery can be bad from the get go so recheck that. Mine acted up when the battery was bad. The second thing that comes to mind is the o2 sensors. I have two on my jeep and was having a real rough idle periodically, lights coming on all kinds of weird things, replaced both o2 sensors and everything went back to normal.
Good luck!
caligal05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2005, 12:27 AM   #4
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Loss of power when trying to accelerate? A clogged cat converter can cause this... might also be part of the rattle you hear.

Also try the O2 sensors like stated above. Since you have a '96 genuine mopar O2 sensors are reccomended for best results

Welcome to the forum

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2005, 12:38 AM   #5
ChaoticBastard
2012 JK Wrangler 

MAP sensor could be a good cause of it as well..
MetalHead Jeep Club Member #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo
what's wrong with bombing poor people? It has all the awesomeness of bombing combined with removal of crime. It's like a win win situation.
Unwad your panties
ChaoticBastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2005, 12:40 AM   #6
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

I would double check that the spark plug wires are connected to the correct cylinders.

I didnt see you mention if you put new wires in or not, but that could also cause it.

Had a toyota once that it almost felt like you were hitting on the brakes (Bucking) when accelerating, had a bad ignition wire..

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2005, 08:05 AM   #7
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.ls
I would double check that the spark plug wires are connected to the correct cylinders.
That sounds like good advice to me. I would also replace the plugs and wires for good measure. I also like the cat advice. That can do the same thing.
Unread 09-29-2005, 09:32 PM   #8
fsds123

Did you ever find out what caused this? Mine is doing the same
fsds123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2005, 05:07 PM   #9
shecanic

possibly

I had something similar happen to me. My error codes said I was miss firing on some cylinders and the dealer said I needed new spark plugs, wires and a fuel injection cleaning. I went home did the work myself and no change. I went to another mechanic and they immediately discovered I had a blown head gasket. The funny thing was I was not overhaeting or anything. They said it was a miracle I was still driving. I went back to the dealer because I was still under warranty and they said that if after they had done all the other things suggested( not covered by warranty) and I still had the same problem they would have looked for further probs. Long story short I went through the same check list you are and a blown head gasket was the end result. Good Luck.
shecanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.