help---I'm buying my first Jeep G.C - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > help---I'm buying my first Jeep G.C

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-07-2003, 03:11 PM   #1
Sdram587

help---I'm buying my first Jeep G.C

Hi,

I am having a hard time deciding whether to buy a jeep grand cherokee or not.

I want to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee because I was always attracted to the way it look. I want the limited edition.

I dont want to buy a Jeep GC because I heard it is very unreliable and break down a lot. Is this true?

Assuming that I buy the jeep, this will be my first car ever! Therefore, I want to protect my investment by making sure I buy something that I won't regret.

I want to buy the jeep GC is because for its storage capacity. I have no plans to drive my jeep off road or on the snow.

I am debating between what year to buy and whether I should buy the 4WD or the 2WD version.

As a college student, which model year jeep should I buy that will get me the most bang for my bucks. I value reliability and don't think too much of power. I just want a good reliable SUV where I can move my stuff around the urban settings.

My budget is under $22K. Is this even possible to get a decent Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for this price.

Thanx

Hope to hear from you soon

Sdram587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 04:55 PM   #2
Camster

hi there. i'm the owner of a '96 grand cherokee limited. you won't be dissappointed if you make the investment in a grand cherokee.

the only problems i've had that weren't caused by myself were a new evaporator for the A/C and i just recently had to get a new catalytic converter. both of these items were covered under warrantee. by advice to you is to opt for the extended warrantee. it'll pay for itself in the event you need a new evaporator.

one more thing is that if i were you i'd definitly go for a 2wd model. you just don't need the 4 wheels turning and it'll save you a lot of money. long term included because of increased gas mileage. the only downside to this is you're going to be hard pressed to find a 2wd limited. i think they do exist (someone back me up here) but i doubt very many were made.

bottom line: go to your dealer and ask them to show you what your options are BEFORE you're ready to sign the check. a thought for you is that you can get a laredo with the apperance (or something like that) package to make it look almost like a limited minus the badging. these are much for common in 2wd and you can add on the options you want like an upgraded sound system, ect. for probably less that what would come standard on a limited. you need anymore advice just ask.

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 07:40 PM   #3
StealthLtd

Quote:
Originally posted by Camster
the only downside to this is you're going to be hard pressed to find a 2wd limited. i think they do exist (someone back me up here) but i doubt very many were made.
I dont know how common they are but I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and its 2WD. I just bought it 3 weeks ago and I love it. Leather seats, seat heaters, dual climate control, roof rack, moon roof, yadda yadda. It has everything you can think of. Has the V8 too. I bought my Jeep for the same reasons you did Sdram. Being a college student myself I know where you're coming from. Hit me up if you have any questions.
StealthLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 07:53 PM   #4
Sdram587

Thanx for the inputs guys.

Anyhow, stealth, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you buy your Jeep GC Limted for?

thanx
Sdram587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 12:14 PM   #5
kcfireman18

Get the 4wd, 2wd in a Jeep is Pointless. Plus resale value is a lot better.
2002 Z28 Camaro (SOLD)
2000 Dakota 5.9 R/T (SOLD
1998 Dakota Sport (SOLD)
kcfireman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 12:22 PM   #6
kcfireman18

I have a 2003 Overland, 4.7 H.O and Ouadra-Drive 4wd-All Time.
I get around 17 Mpg.

My Sister bought a 2000 with the Inline 6 and paid $20,000 with around 30,000 miles she gets 19mpg. She has 4wd also.
2002 Z28 Camaro (SOLD)
2000 Dakota 5.9 R/T (SOLD
1998 Dakota Sport (SOLD)
kcfireman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2003, 08:36 AM   #7
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

I have seen a 96 GC (Larado) 4X4 with the 5.2 around here for
$10,000.
So I would say you could definatly get one for 20K without a problem.

Good luck.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.