HELP I stripped a port hole on TRansmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP I stripped a port hole on TRansmission

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
marriedjeep

HELP I STRIPPED A BOLT HOLE ON TRansMission

I have a 95 with the 46 rh transmission i think lol. Anyway i had a leak at the front of the tranny from the tranny line at the fitting port and was because i installed it improperly the first time and crossed some threads. Well the long and sweet is that i stripped out the port on the tranny case how can i fix this super cheap but effective. Ive called Brandon Transmission and AMACO Transmission and without even looking at it was told by both that i need a new tranny right off the rip. I guess they assume that i dont know what im doing or talking about. Anyway any ideas or has others encounterd this problem???? Thanks for reading this and taken time to respond.

Last edited by marriedjeep; 10-17-2012 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: no views
marriedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
mudruna
1994 ZJ 

if the threads are still there but just messed up you might be able to hit it with a tap, if not you could see about a helicoil but I'm not sure if they have them for a hydraulic application like that. you could also go ultra cheap and apply some JB weld to the fitting like thread locker and then install it and never remove it.
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Two options, remove and disassemble for tapping it to the next size or new transmission.

Or try to get the area completely oil free and jb Weld.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

Telfon tape the threads maybe? I've done a few jb weld fixes, only lasted temporarily.... I'd try to tap and remove any metal prices that come off during the process. Make sure you hit the fitting with a thread file to.
Unread 10-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
marriedjeep

So i bought a tap and die set today im going to lower the tranny and attempt to tap it tomorow. if that dont work jb weld sounds good. Thanks i let yall know the outcome.
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

it's going to be a pipe tap, standard tap and die sets do not include pipe taper taps.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Yea,eighth or quarter pipe,dont remember which
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
Yea,eighth or quarter pipe,dont remember which
I think it's 1/8th. I believe that's the size of the trans temp sender that people say to screw into the port because it's a direct fit and I am pretty sure I used a 3/8 to 1/8 adapter for it when I put it in the hard line.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
marriedjeep

OK so heres the update. I was able to tap the hole and bought a brass fitting that fit awesome no more leak from ther. found that the pan is leaking so now i have to get a new tranny seal. Also i put in some cheap type A tranny fluid and now it feels like reverse is binding or lagging... I put in revers then i push the gas engine revs but is slow to move and when it does start theres like a whineding sound. i know my tranny is to use ATF-4 so im hoping the tranny fluid is the problem. Hardly any leaking tho lol. any ideas? could the shift linkage need to be adjusted?
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Put the right damn fluid in it.
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

ATF-4 and you may need a new pan too depending on if the flanges are bent from the bolts being over torqued. If they are no gasket will stop it from leaking. If not then you are good.
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #12
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Ditto. ATF+4 or at a pinch +3 - you really need to get the stuff out. And change the filter at the same time - you are going to stink, for days.
Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
marriedjeep

LOL i already stink with the wonderful smell of jeep insides lol. As to the fluid i will get that all changed up this weekend with the filter. what would i need to flatten the pan myself if its bent at the bolt holes? And Thanks to all for helping me threw this.
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I used a 2x4 and hammer on a very flat surface. It helped but there is still a drip every now and then. Getting a new pan one day. The bolts should only be torqued to 12.5 foot pounds.
Unread 10-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #15
marriedjeep

ok so i flushed the tranny and put on a new filter \ and new pan seal after having it reflattened i added hi temp rtv seal just to be safe. will put atf 4 in tomorow just so seal has plenty time to cure. fingers crossed this solves the problem.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.