Help with horn that doesn't work - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help with horn that doesn't work

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #16
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon411 View Post
You could just have oxidation on the legs of the relay (in the engine compartment power dist block.) The 93-95 horn relays are under the glovebox in a much more protected environment. Pull the relay and re-seat it several times to cut a clean copper path thru the oxidation and see if they work correctly. If not and the problem still exists, I would take apart the switches at the wheel and see if the star shaped contacts have slipped out of postition or are oxidized as well.
Thanks. Will give that a shot. Is there a way to remove the wheel cover without taking apart the wheel?

Thanks
BIH

bigislandhikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #17
matholland
1998 ZJ 

theres 3 bolts at the back of the steering wheel that once removed the whole horn/airbag assembly comes off together.
matholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #18
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

No repair for a bad switch, need to replace the airbag trim cover.

Rather than disturbing the airbag and cover, check switch operation with an ohmmeter...
  1. First disconnect the negative battery cable, wait a few minutes for circuits to discharge
  2. Remove steering column lower shroud cover
  3. Remove the clock spring connector (white), then check the switch operation with an ohmmeter between Pins#4 and #5.

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey guys, sorry to necropost, but this thread had something in it that may apply to me. Now I'm not a mechanic or electrically saavy, so bear with me....

The diagram on the first page shows the horn switch being in a dotted-line box called the "vehicle speed controller". Does that also have to do with the cruise control? Both my horn AND cruise control do not work, and it occurred to me that it could be something in the wiring.

Thanks for any tips you can give me!
AllenTC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.