JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Help with horn that doesn't work (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/help-horn-doesnt-work-1395452/)

bigislandhikers 07-20-2012 12:16 PM

Help with horn that doesn't work

The horn on my 1997 grand cherokee doesn't work. I think it might be the switch. The area where the switch is feels like it is empty and it doesn't seem like anything is getting "pushed" when I apply pressure to the area.

Is it difficult to get into the horn switch and replace?

Thanks
BIH

bigislandhikers 07-20-2012 01:14 PM

So if there are two switches it seems one of them should work. Maybe its the horn itself?

Hawkeye01 07-20-2012 01:40 PM

Jeep horns are known for failing. Check if you have voltage to the horn. Pull the wires from the horn and have someone push the horn button on the steering wheel, use a volt meter and if every thing works ok you should get voltage at the wire connection that plugs into the horn. If there's no voltage then it could be a relay or the switch.

bigislandhikers 07-20-2012 02:30 PM

The ABS light is also on. Someone at work mentioned it could be something called a clock spring. Sound like a possibility and how would I test?

Thanks again!

thathubcapguy 07-21-2012 09:37 PM

make sure the horns are plugged in!! that was my problem there was a light impact to the r/f by a P/O and it knocked the connectors off.

Canyon411 07-21-2012 10:49 PM

Can you hear the horn relay clicking when you push the switch on the steering wheel. If you can, probably the horn iself is bad. If not, could be relay or steering wheel switch.

KoreaZJ 07-21-2012 11:28 PM

Another horn thread... HERE

Texas ZJ1 07-21-2012 11:59 PM

Any updates?

Hunter

matholland 07-22-2012 03:16 PM

my horn recently stopped working...I do believe that it is the switch in the horn...I was thinking about going to a junkyard and finding one that the airbag has not been deployed on and pulling it and installing in mine...IDK what a clockspring is, but it was working and I have got the horn to work a few time by pressing in a certain spot really hard.

Snap-on 07-22-2012 05:01 PM

first check your horns apply direct power to them and see if they honk if the do you know have a place to start

matholland 07-22-2012 05:43 PM

They do I'm almost positive that it's that switch on the horn

Canyon411 07-22-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigislandhikers (Post 13895328)
The horn on my 1997 grand cherokee doesn't work. I think it might be the switch. The area where the switch is feels like it is empty and it doesn't seem like anything is getting "pushed" when I apply pressure to the area.

Is it difficult to get into the horn switch and replace?

Thanks
BIH

Any progress? Did you check for the sound of the relay clicking or not?

bigislandhikers 07-23-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canyon411 (Post 13905098)
Any progress? Did you check for the sound of the relay clicking or not?

I checked with a meter and didn't have any power going to the horns. It sometimes barely works and it blows very weakly. When it does its for only a couple times and then stops.

I will listen for a relay click tonight but I'm pretty sure there was none.

Should I feel anything pushing down when I use the horn? It feels very empty under the horn cover and nothing pushes down. Is there any way I can remove the skin off the steering wheel so I can see the horn switch?

Thanks for the help!

JS97ZJ 07-23-2012 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the wiring dia for that part,
The power is not going to get to the horn if the relay doesn't energize. Check for power up through the columb.

Canyon411 07-23-2012 05:38 PM

You could just have oxidation on the legs of the relay (in the engine compartment power dist block.) The 93-95 horn relays are under the glovebox in a much more protected environment. Pull the relay and re-seat it several times to cut a clean copper path thru the oxidation and see if they work correctly. If not and the problem still exists, I would take apart the switches at the wheel and see if the star shaped contacts have slipped out of postition or are oxidized as well.

The time now is 12:09 AM.