Help, hard to start my Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help, hard to start my Grand Cherokee

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-25-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
bruceyg

Help, hard to start my Grand Cherokee

It just keep turning over and takes long time to start, I changed fuel filter, seems doesn't help. I added fuel injector cleaner and COLD Start gas treatment, works, and easier to start my jeep. But when I stop using it the problem comes back. What am I gonna do? I don't wanna use fuel injector cleaner once a tank. Any idea?

bruceyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Wiley

I'd have the battery tested, there may be a bad cell. Take it to Autozone or some parts store, they'll test it for you for free. Also, test to make sure your'e getting enough fuel and spark. Good luck.

1993 ZJ Laredo

5.2 V8 4" lift 31s JKS f & r track bars JKS discos Cragar Soft 8s DT 3000s OME Stabilizer
K&N drop-in Dynomax Exhaust Hella 500s Westin Safari Bar KOR Radiator Support
Dark Rosewood Jeep Club Member #5
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
bruceyg

I changed a new battery acouple of weeks ago. I don't think it's the problem of ignition system, probabaly it's fuel system or IAC, when I used fuel injector cleaner and cold start treatment ,the jeep is easy to be started. it's 93 six cylinder model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley121
I'd have the battery tested, there may be a bad cell. Take it to Autozone or some parts store, they'll test it for you for free. Also, test to make sure your'e getting enough fuel and spark. Good luck.
bruceyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Before you crack over the engine leave the key in the "On" position for a couple seconds and then start-er-up. If that solves it the problem is simply that your fuel pump needs to re-prime the fuel lines and is a pretty common problem with ZJ's (though you didn't way which year/engine you have (*wink wink*))...
Unread 02-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
bruceyg

Yes, you are right, it's 1993 4.0L I6 model, what do you mean re-prime the fuel? Do you mean each time I start the jeep I should turn the key to on position and wait few seconds then start it?thx
once I left the key in the "on" postion for half a minute it didn't work, sometimes if I have a good luck just got a quick start. don't know why
I changed the spark plugs, wires and distributor cap half a yr ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Before you crack over the engine leave the key in the "On" position for a couple seconds and then start-er-up. If that solves it the problem is simply that your fuel pump needs to re-prime the fuel lines and is a pretty common problem with ZJ's (though you didn't way which year/engine you have (*wink wink*))...
Unread 02-25-2006, 11:32 PM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Re-prime as in the fuel line looses pressure and it takes the fuel pump a couple seconds to repressureize the line with fuel. Of course if leaving it in the on position for a couple seconds doesn't solve your problem it is something else most likely.
Unread 02-25-2006, 11:42 PM   #7
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Leaving the key on wont keep the fuel lines primed as it was put. (thats the job of the check valve) You have to turn the key off then on again to have it reprime the line before starting.

The pump runs for about 1-2 seconds (closer to 1) when you first turn the key, it doesnt keep doing it when you leave the key on.

If you turn the key on, listen for the pump. Should be a faint wine coming from the rear. Turn the key off then back on and see if it starts easier. (Prime it 1-3 times and see if its easier to start)

Theres nothing there to measure the pressure and keep the pump priming with just the key on. (Unless the engine is running and then the pump is constantly is on)

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.