Help Front end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help Front end

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
da8

Help Front end

I have a 98 jeep grnd cherokee 5.2 v8 all wheel drive. My front end went out. I have a few options. Can I use a 95 grand cherokee front end? Can I use a 96 front end? I can buy either of those for $150. Or a whole 98 grand cherokee limited for 700. What do you think and can I use the 95 or 96? Also all of them have about 180,000 miles on them.
Thanks

da8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

buy the 98. Use what you need, then it's a straight swap. Sell it off for parts and make your money back and then some probably. JMHO
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj
buy the 98. Use what you need, then it's a straight swap. Sell it off for parts and make your money back and then some probably. JMHO
This^^^^
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
paintballwannab
1997 ZJ 

Biggest thing is gear ratio, with the v8 you have 3.73 gears. Meaning your replacement axle needs to be out of a v8 grand cherokee. 4.0 had 3.55 gears, the axle is a direct swap but will need to be re-geared.

Providing the 98 is a v8 that's your best option, gets your axle and a bunch of other parts all in one shot.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

If you buy the 98 feel free to ship the drivers door up north. Lol
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballwannab View Post
Biggest thing is gear ratio, with the v8 you have 3.73 gears. Meaning your replacement axle needs to be out of a v8 grand cherokee. 4.0 had 3.55 gears, the axle is a direct swap but will need to be re-geared.

Providing the 98 is a v8 that's your best option, gets your axle and a bunch of other parts all in one shot.
IIRC not all v8s came with 3.73s.
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
paintballwannab
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
IIRC not all v8s came with 3.73s.
I thought I read that they did...but very well could wrong. As long as it hasn't been removed there should be a tag on the front diff showing what gear ratio it has, so it can be matched with the new axle.

BTW the OP never actually said axle, motor, etc. I just assumed he was referring to a axle?
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballwannab View Post
I thought I read that they did...but very well could wrong. As long as it hasn't been removed there should be a tag on the front diff showing what gear ratio it has, so it can be matched with the new axle.

BTW the OP never actually said axle, motor, etc. I just assumed he was referring to a axle?
I first assumed motor...maybe he should specify.

I know in 93-95 the v8's came with either 3.55's or 3.73's.
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
I first assumed motor...maybe he should specify.

I know in 93-95 the v8's came with either 3.55's or 3.73's.
yep, saw a 93 v8 in the junkyard with 3.55s when i was looking for a new axle. couldnt believe it lol

also 4.0s with the factory trailer prep or trailer tow package wouldve came with 3.73s
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

same for v8's. tow package always has 3.73's. what I have
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
1skrewsloose
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
same for v8's. tow package always has 3.73's. what I have
This sounds right, my 4.0 with tow package has 3.73. 98 GC
1skrewsloose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.