HELP!! engine swap nightmare 98 5.9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP!! engine swap nightmare 98 5.9

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
SuprChargerHVN
1998 ZJ 

HELP!! engine swap nightmare 98 5.9

I just did an engine swap on my 1998 5.9 limited. I know the engine i put it in ran, as did the one that was in my jeep when i pulled it out. I put the new engine down in it and it will not fire at all. I am getting no spark. I do have fuel at the rail, but the injectors are not pumping fuel into the motor either. I have changed the cam sensor, and the coil pack. I grabbed a computer from the junk yard (numbers not matching, but worth a shot.) and still nothing at all. No fuel, no spark, no firing up. Anyone have any idea what my missing X factor here could possibily be?

SuprChargerHVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Battery connected?

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Check your crank sensor to make sure it's not damaged. Go back and double check everything that you disconnected/reconnected during the swap. Make sure you didn't pinch or otherwise damage any wiring when you installed the engine.

Double check everything no matter how insignificant or silly (is the rotor installed?) and usually you'll find the problem.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

You may have damaged the CPS when you were connecting the trans to the motor. I believe there is a test you can do on these to find out if they are good or bad.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
SuprChargerHVN
1998 ZJ 

i can try the spare cps that i have there. it wouldnt hurt anything. Ive checked, and re checked my wiring more times than i care to. Ive spent almost every evening this week trying to trouble shoot my problem. Yes my battery is connected, I know the cam positioning sensor wire got in between the torque converter and the bellhousing, so i did change that. other than that im lost. Im going to double check all my wiring one more time tomorrow. If i cant come up with anything this weekend then i guess im going to have to tow it to a garage, as much as i dont wanna do that. But if you guys think of anything else, please let me know. thanks everyone for the help
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

disconnect tps, turn key on and check to see if you have 5 volt reference across the two outside contact on the connector. This will tell you if the PCM is alive. May be a blown fuse or a short on the circuit causing the problem.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
SuprChargerHVN
1998 ZJ 

thank you very much
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

At this point, it'll be something really easy to fix. You've been over it, take your time and you'll find it.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
SuprChargerHVN
1998 ZJ 

Well I figured I would post an update. I got the number running today. The crank sensor was junk. I pulled it out in 3 pieces, the wiring, the mount, and the rest of the sensor which fell down I to the bell housing.
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Always remove them when doing transmission or engine removal/replacement.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.