HELP!!! Electrical seats stop working!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP!!! Electrical seats stop working!!!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
joffett

HELP!!! Electrical seats stop working!!!

I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee (ZJ), with electrical seats. For some reason the passenger seat has stop moving back, but will move forward. My seat is all the way up now due to my mother not listening to me when I told her do not move the seat, but she did anyway. Is there a way to override the electric seat manually by moving it back? If so please let me know, I’ve goggled this topic and found no solutions, as of yet.
Thanks.

joffett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
wj_jeep92
1998 ZJ 

no clue as to what it could be (sorry) however if u figure it out please pm me and tell me the problem. my driver side power seat in my wj has issues. its the five way adjustable seat and is stuck with the front of the seat all the way up. very irritating. i ridearound lookin like a thug.
Unread 04-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
joffett

Im not sure what it would be, I'm thinking about replacing the fuse, but my driver side seat works fine... and on the passenger seat it will not move back, but it will move forward, up and down. Not sure what is going on....
Unread 04-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
ducttapeman90
1996 ZJ 

It's more than likely a problem with the track causing too much resistance to allow the seat to move back. My passenger seat had similar problems where the motor would only move about an inch in each direction. I pulled the seat out and cleaned up the track, went to put the seat back into the Jeep, and ... it wouldn't fit in - somehow, the seat track got misaligned and one of the tracks was farther up than the other one. To fix that, I removed the torx screw that holds the track onto the worm gear mechanism and I on one of the two tracks I was able to move it forward to line up with the other. Then I just reassembled it (be careful when putting that torx screw back in, it goes into plastic and you can easily strip it out) and the seat fit back into the Jeep with no problem, and the seat would actually move too!
Unread 04-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

It sounds like the contacts on the "move back" portion of the switch have failed. Something you could do is unplug the connector to the motor underneath the passenger's seat and figure out what pins make the seat move forward. Then jumper it reverse polarity. That's all the switch does.

Oh, and once you get the seat moved back? Unplug the main connector under that seat...
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
joffett

I will try that..., but for now is there a way to move it back manually?
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
joffett

Thanks for all your help guys..
It came down that I need a new seat switch. The switch is not making the copper ends connect. I end up taking it apart and putting it back on without the switch connected the copper ends together and the seat moved any direction I wanted it to.

The question is what is that switch called exactly called, and how can I find one for a 1993 grand Cherokee. I looked on jeep4x4center couldn't find anything... Is there any other place you know that carries parts...
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Junkyard???
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Mickey got to it before I did. Mine did the same thing before it went into the shop, but today when I got it back I swapped out the control switches (took like 5 minutes) they are all functioning. With the price for this being like $5, I would check this before doing too much. I pulled mine from a 93 ZJ, so evidently the switches are year specific. So, definitely check out your local junkyards.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/

Last edited by blackjack12982; 04-08-2009 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: incomplete
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.