HELP! Does 3.5 lift need extended bump stops? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
GR8_YT
1996 ZJ 

HELP! Does 3.5 lift need extended bump stops?

I ordered a RE 3.5" lift kit for my 96 ZJ, which I plan to install tomorrow

I don't see bumpstops in the kit. Do I need extended bumpstops?

I was considering a 2" BB for a while but eventually decided to get the 3.5" lift. When I was researching the BB I remember some came with extended bumpstops, or that some recomended them. It never crossed my mind if this is necessary for a 3.5" lift until now...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-04-2014, 09:32 PM
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

If you intend to flex it or wheel it hard I would recommend getting some yes.

'95 ZJ: 5.2 v8 / 231 Tcase / 46RH
post #3 of 10 Old 04-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Myusername1674
1995 ZJ 

Depends on the tire you run in my opinion.

sent from, uh

95 FiveTwo ZJ, DD, Lifted, Locked on 35s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-04-2014, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
GR8_YT
1996 ZJ 

I'll be running 235/75/15 (~ 29")for a while, just got the not too long ago.
Some wheeling, not too hard. But I'll occasionally be loading her up with heavy stuff, I use the zj to haul landscaping stuff
post #5 of 10 Old 04-05-2014, 12:42 AM
Myusername1674
1995 ZJ 

Okay you should be fine, as those tires can be stuffed at stock height. If you ever go larger tires look into bumpstopping more. Google hockey puck bumpstops jeep. It's the easy way

95 FiveTwo ZJ, DD, Lifted, Locked on 35s,
(in progress)

post #6 of 10 Old 04-05-2014, 05:52 AM
ejschultz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It doesn't matter so much for tire size as it does for shock compression. You don't want the shock to become the bump stop (unless they're DT8000s with built in bump stops). That'll shorten the life of the shock. Since the lift shocks are longer than the factory shocks, they'll probably be used as a bump stop before the factory bump stops act as they should. Get some hockey pucks for the front and get the RE rear extensions. Summit Racing sells the RE stuff and hockey pucks are cheap on eBay. Do the lift but don't wheel it until you get the bump stop issue fixed.

01 TJ - 4.0L, NV3550, 2" Skyjacker budget boost, Xenon flat flares, LoD front bumper, Tuff Stuff rear bumper, RH4X4 sliders, 33" STT Pros on 15x8s
post #7 of 10 Old 04-06-2014, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
GR8_YT
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
It doesn't matter so much for tire size as it does for shock compression. You don't want the shock to become the bump stop (unless they're DT8000s with built in bump stops). That'll shorten the life of the shock. Since the lift shocks are longer than the factory shocks, they'll probably be used as a bump stop before the factory bump stops act as they should. Get some hockey pucks for the front and get the RE rear extensions. Summit Racing sells the RE stuff and hockey pucks are cheap on eBay. Do the lift but don't wheel it until you get the bump stop issue fixed.

How many hockey pucks would I need? I'm putting a 3.5' lift, is the assumption that I should extend 3' - 3.5' front and rear correct?

I installed the rear lift yesterday and discovered one bump stop was missing, the other crumbled off when I touched it. So now I have no bump stops in rear
I'll be doing the front today, hopefully I won't find surprises there.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-06-2014, 10:08 AM
CatSplat
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
It doesn't matter so much for tire size as it does for shock compression.
It's a combination of both. Bumpstops keep your shocks from topping out as you mentioned, but they also keep an oversized tire from stuffing itself into your sheetmetal at full bump, which can be a bad situation for your tires and a number of your axle parts.

1994 5.9L ZJ, retrofitted UC package, NP242 swap, 17" JK Moabs with 32" BFG MT KM's.
The Jeep of Theseus
post #9 of 10 Old 04-07-2014, 02:55 AM
ejschultz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8_YT View Post
How many hockey pucks would I need? I'm putting a 3.5' lift, is the assumption that I should extend 3' - 3.5' front and rear correct?

I installed the rear lift yesterday and discovered one bump stop was missing, the other crumbled off when I touched it. So now I have no bump stops in rear
I'll be doing the front today, hopefully I won't find surprises there.
Measure the amount of travel the shock has and measure the distance between the stock bump stop and inside the coil at the base of the perch. That'll give you an idea as to how much up travel you'll have. You need to get the distance between the bump stop and the perch to be maybe about an inch shorter (because bump stops will compress on initial contact) than the shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
It's a combination of both. Bumpstops keep your shocks from topping out as you mentioned, but they also keep an oversized tire from stuffing itself into your sheetmetal at full bump, which can be a bad situation for your tires and a number of your axle parts.
Keeping this in mind, if you go with a 31, you shouldn't have to worry. Now, I run 31s on 4" of lift with no rubbing. I'm also at 4" of backspacing on 8" wide rims. I'd venture to say different widths and backspacing combinations may produce some issues.

01 TJ - 4.0L, NV3550, 2" Skyjacker budget boost, Xenon flat flares, LoD front bumper, Tuff Stuff rear bumper, RH4X4 sliders, 33" STT Pros on 15x8s
post #10 of 10 Old 04-07-2014, 05:02 AM
Technohead
1998 ZJ 

A lift kit without extending bump stops does not give you any extra clearance at full bump. Or even worse, the shocks bottom out before the bump stops contact.

The proper amount of bump stop depends mostly on the stroke of your shocks and tire size.

-Eric

Tags
bump stop , lift kit , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.