HELP!! Death Wobble! :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP!! Death Wobble! :(

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
dernjeep
1995 ZJ 

HELP!! Death Wobble! :(

Alright guys I'm stuck now, I've replaced literally everything except the ball joints and the driver hub on my 95 ZJ, and now I got the wobble. It used to happen over 70 but I mad adjustments and thought it was taken care of---- NOPE. Now I get the wobble really bad if i hit a bump just over 55. I REALLY don't think the problem is the ball joints and I know the bearing can't be bad. Any suggestions?.....or just help?

dernjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Do a dry steering test. Can almost guarantee you'll find slop in the trackbar. Also, check the control arm bushings.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Check your track bar and the frame side track bar mount for tightness.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
dernjeep
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Check your track bar and the frame side track bar mount for tightness.
I'll check that. My adjustable track bar I got had some pretty funky bushings/spacers. And I sure hope my control arm bushings are fine i spent $300 on new arms w/ bushings just for the front.
dernjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
HandsOn

Anything funky with a trackbar is reason for suspicion and a thorough check.
And while you're at it, rotate one front tire to the back at a time and see if the manners, or timing of the wobble changes. Better still if it just would go away, but that's obviously not always the case.
However, it "can" be a bad tire.

Not to ignore all the other things of course, so especially do the test with a helper sawing the wheel back and forth while you watch all the components underneath. Make sure the full weight of the truck is on the ground so you get the most load. Look at everything from the trackbar mount to the frame around the steering box to anything in between.
But rotating tires is usually free. So it's an easy test as well.

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
BCrawford64
1997 ZJ 

I vote alignment or ball joints. I mean, that's what I have left to do with mine as well. Well if the ball joint boots look fine and there is now play when the wheel is rocked top to bottom then I'd just go with an alignment.
BCrawford64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCrawford64 View Post
Well if the ball joint boots look fine and there is no play when the wheel is rocked top to bottom then I'd just go with an alignment.
That's how you check wheel bearings .

Ball joints
-jack up axle as close to wheel as possible enough to get a pry bar under the wheel .
-put your hand on the tire at 12 , pry the bar up and down
you will feel any movement in the ball joints through your hand . If you feel play , have someone do it while you look at the ball joints to confirm where the play is .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

an alignment will do absolutely nothing to solve your problem and is a waste of money because when you finally replace the worn out part your jeep will probably be misaligned anyway.

as newfie said, balljoints are VERY easy to check. same with a hub. jack the wheel up. if theres any play or a slight clunk, replace.

make sure track bars nice and tight and joints are good. do the 'wiggle test' as mentioned. have a friend wiggle steering wheel back and forth; look for play in tie rods and track bar and control arms.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.