Help with D35 Axle seal replacement - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help with D35 Axle seal replacement

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbehnke View Post
if the wj has no C-clips, how much different is the process? would you need to get the bearing and seal pressed on?
I think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
318jeepcherokee
1998 ZJ 

yes.. just did my dads 01 GC..

there is a retainer behind the hub with four nuts on it.. spray the nuts with PB blaster or something that will help brake down rust.... after all four nuts are off get your slide hammer on the hub and starting pulling on the axle.. eventually the axle will slide out of the housing and reveal the seal, bearing and retainer... all data says drill a hole in the retainer and use a hammer and chisel to brake the retainer so you can get the bearing off... i chose a torch and cut the retainer and bearing off( be care full so you don't cut into the axle it self.
Now you can slide the new seal on the axle shaft(before doing this pack the seal with some grease to lubricate it and then slide the new bearing down the shaft ( pack it with grease to) it will only go so far before you need a press.. make sure you press the bearing on with the press pushing on the inner race of the bearing DO not use the new retainer to press the bearing on because it will distort the retainer and the axle wont sit proper in the housing.. trust me i learned this the hard way.. and then press the new retainer on the axle shaft and reinstall into the housing.
tighten all four nuts and your good to go.. also top up diff fluid.. i pulled my cover and cleaned everything up before finishing up.

connor.
-1998 grand cherokee 5.9- custom intake, MTX sledge hammer sub with two JBL audio speakers in the rear doors and JVC deck, Westin safari bar with two 6' lights, Yakima load warrior with reverse lights, Hooker aero chamber muffler.
318jeepcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #18
metalli445
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can this same process be used for replacing the bearing and axle seals on a D35 on a TJ? My seal is leaking and needs replaced. I'd like to do it myself but I haven't found a step by step process like this yet to do it. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
metalli445 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.