HELP! CV to U-Joint Driveshaft coversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP! CV to U-Joint Driveshaft coversion

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Kevs318GC
1997 ZJ 

HELP! CV to U-Joint Driveshaft coversion

I need some advice on converting my CV style front driveshaft to a u-joint. I have a 97 5.2L and it handles great offroad but i'm sick and tired of blowing apart CV joints on the trail(tonight happened to be the last straw). So i'm curious if anyone has done the swap and has any advice or past experiences that could help me out.

Kevs318GC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I've not done such a swap - but it should be relatively simple.

"Minimalist" version - Replace the front driveshaft, the tcase attachment, and the front axle yoke (if they use flat companion flanges, I'd just get a driveshaft made instead - companion flanges are better.)

"Let's get nuts!' version - Replace the front drivehsaft, transfer case, and front axle with the Cardan version instead of the Rzeppa.

If you can give us pictures of the ends of your front driveshaft, we can tell you if you have companion flanges (and, if you do, I honestly think it would be best to just have a new driveshaft made from scratch, using the same joints as the rear.)
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
davidtownsend
1994 ZJ 

I just saw this post on Facebook! I have no idea about that stuff but good luck!
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
I've not done such a swap - but it should be relatively simple.

"Minimalist" version - Replace the front driveshaft, the tcase attachment, and the front axle yoke (if they use flat companion flanges, I'd just get a driveshaft made instead - companion flanges are better.)

"Let's get nuts!' version - Replace the front drivehsaft, transfer case, and front axle with the Cardan version instead of the Rzeppa.

If you can give us pictures of the ends of your front driveshaft, we can tell you if you have companion flanges (and, if you do, I honestly think it would be best to just have a new driveshaft made from scratch, using the same joints as the rear.)
Transfer case has nothing to do with this, front axle swap is never needed.

You have two choices.

You can get an adapter for the differential connection, this will just bolt to the existing yoke. Some people have reported having vibes with this method, one 6 Jeeps with this method, I have not. A benefit is that you can still use the stock rzeppa style if you ever go down in lift or need a quick spare.

The other option is to replace the yoke at the diff with the appropriate U-joint connection. A bit more time and labor intensive. Both cases will require a different driveshaft in there and possible length modification based on light height and suspension.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Kevs318GC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
The other option is to replace the yoke at the diff with the appropriate U-joint connection. A bit more time and labor intensive. Both cases will require a different driveshaft in there and possible length modification based on light height and suspension.
I have no problem with labor intensive. Alot of my concerns are with the fitment of stock drive shafts from similar ZJs and if the T-case flanges will have to be replaced. My intention is to pull a shaft and yoke from a jy and just swap both but im also curious to see how others have gone about this
Kevs318GC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You won't have to mess with the transfer case flange.
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Kevs318GC
1997 ZJ 

That's good to hear
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

im in the middle of the swap myself. all you need is the u joint driveshaft and the corresponding yoke for the axle. the transfer case yoke is the same. im pretty sure if you have a 96-98 V8, you can use the driveshaft from a 4.0 and be fine. if you have a 93-95 V8, you will need a driveshaft from a 93-95 V8. the 93-95 V8 trans was longer than the others, so as a result the driveshaft is longer as well. the axle yoke can come from any ZJ, the yokes are all the same. i pulled mine from a 4.0, but my driveshaft came from a V8. when you swap the yokes, you need to re-set the pinion preload. i posted a thread about that subject, in which ratmonkey (RIP) posted the instructions on how to properly do it. it should be towards the top if you search "set pinion after swapping yoke"
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
shaban
1996 ZJ 

+1 on pinion preload setting. If swapping the front yoke, you've got to set the pinion preload right, otherwise it's gonna start whining in 10-20k.
Ideally, new crush sleeve or solid spacer with shims conversion. Less than ideally but fine too, just tighen the pinion nut.
You'd need an inch-pound torque wrench for that to ensure the preload is still there.

Myself, converted to u-joint yoke, installed a solid spacer with shims, so far so good.
Had more trouble finding the right driveshaft since ZJ's with u-joints were not sold in Australia.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I used a drive shaft from a 93 ZJ that was about 30-31" long compressed. Bolted right in after the yoke swap with no modification.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
Kevs318GC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I used a drive shaft from a 93 ZJ that was about 30-31" long compressed. Bolted right in after the yoke swap with no modification.
What year was your ZJ?
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

98 5.9. I just measured the broken CV shaft that I pulled out of mine and then found a U joint shaft at the pull a part as close in length as possible.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #13
Yoda95
1995 ZJ 

I don't understand this post at all. He is pulling CV joints out of his 98 ZJ? From where? Solid axle!!
Yoda95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda95 View Post
I don't understand this post at all. He is pulling CV joints out of his 98 ZJ? From where? Solid axle!!
Driveshaft
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
Kevs318GC
1997 ZJ 

The front drive shaft on some V8 model ZJs has a cv-joint. The drive shafts are u joints on the t-case end and CV on the differential end. The cv is not nearly as durable as the u-joint and keeps blowing apart while offroad so i am swapping out the pinion yoke to replace the cv dtyle drive shaft with a u joint style drive shaft

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.