HELP!! chasing a gremlin - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP!! chasing a gremlin

Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
hickchick805
1993 ZJ 

HELP!! chasing a gremlin

I can not get my poor jeep to start! it randomly sputtered and died about a month ago. Basically it has spark it has fuel and compression. I have checked fuses, replaced the distributor, a number of sensors ( after changing fuel regulator sensor it ran drove it 5 miles to gas station then died again started up tried to make it home died 4 times on the way home now wont start at all)

I took it to a jeep mechanic and he told me he had know idea what was keeping it from running. I love this jeep to much to just junk it but have had multiple people basically give up. Now i just found out a few months ago the thing had an alarm it went off on me out of the blue got it to turn off and it started up just fine since then. Alot of other weird symptoms have been going on like back up lights not turning on (NSS is fixed now), and the day before it broke down lost high on windshield wipers, also right before it broke down i started it up put it in reverse and it revved up actually moving the jeep while my foot was still on brake.

I am lost as to what it could be now. Does anyone have any ideas? I love this jeep to much to completely give up. (also have tried the unlocking and locking all the key cylinders)

hickchick805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
tfink
1993 ZJ 

I have a 93 zj sat for about a year and I had to put fuel lines in it and did that it would start run for awhile then few weeks later it would run, comes to find out I just needed a new computer. But previously I put 500$ into fuel put cause the dude next store shop and him is a rip off, I don't have a probable now after getting the the computer form pick and pull but probable be better to get a new one.
tfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfink View Post
I have a 93 zj sat for about a year and I had to put fuel lines in it and did that it would start run for awhile then few weeks later it would run, comes to find out I just needed a new computer. But previously I put 500$ into fuel put cause the dude next store shop and him is a rip off, I don't have a probable now after getting the the computer form pick and pull but probable be better to get a new one.
What?
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
mojop79
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

What?
Lol, no crap!
mojop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
sebian
1995 ZJ 

I think what he was trying to get across was that he was having the same symptoms, and that after getting screwed by a mechanic, discovered that his PCM was bad. Replacing it did the trick for him.

As for OP, have you tried swapping out the ASD relay with another known good one? When you changed out the sensors, did you also do the crankshaft position senson? If so, did you use a Mopar sensor? These Jeep are very picky about their sensors, so it does matter which brand sensor you used.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Check the connection of the small black wire on the negative battery terminal.
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
hickchick805
1993 ZJ 

crankshaft position sensor was checked not replaced by the mechanic i took it to. The computer checked out according to the mechanic and have checked to see if power is get to it and past it and that checked out fine. I am lost as to why it isnt starting. it cranks but doesnt fire it has backfired a few times when trying to start it checked the cat to see if it was plugged it was fine. i know fuel is getting into the engine since i can smell it everytime it floods it and i know the timing is right since i have replaced distributor and timing chain and am getting spark to the plugs. i just dont get it :
Unread 12-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
jeepmanzj1955
1996 ZJ 

possibilty

i have a 96GC and had some of the problems you had and it turned out to a pesky crank position sensor. one minute it worked the next it wouldn't.
now my son has a cherokee that was doing what yours is doing,and it turned out to be his nuetral safety switch. we cleaned it and so far everything is fine. Do you know if you jeep has a aw4 tranny in it? that is that trannys
achilles heel i've been told.
jeepmanzj1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
azgrandjeeper
1998 ZJ 

I agree with the crankshaft sensore and the PCM. I just got over this problem with my jeep and it turned out to be a loose ground wire. It was sometime getting a ground and then it would not. So it was studdering and then not. But you just gotta remember that Jeep and Chrysler has always had some dumb *** electrical problems. That is the olny thing I hate about my jeep. I have had 3 issues obtaining something electrical.
azgrandjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Have you checked for mil codes? (cycle key on & off 3x),
Swap the ASD relay
Test the TPS
Problems like this usually start with the everyone's favorite (CPS), but first start with the coil. Check to see if you have good color from the center wire to ground. (bright white, arcing 1/2")
swap the ASD relay with another relay with the same # (horn).
Then test the TPS.
Check your grounds to the engine block and inspect the battery terminals.
Change the CPS.
There is also a problem with the PCMs from 93-95. the capacitors in the computer module are known to go bad after many years of service. They can easily be replaced if you know how to solder (or know some one who does).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f...riteup-501951/

The caps in the PCM, hold in the ASD relay energized.
When you have your foot on the brake, do you loose brake pedal? A bad brake booster will leak vaccum , and cause the engine speed to increase slightly. Try depressing the pedal while in park and check for idle increase.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 01:36 AM   #11
hickchick805
1993 ZJ 

well we have done of all these things i have been on this forum for hours talked to multiple mechanics and basically today after one coming out and tinkering with the distributor he thinks the cam shaft has rounded becuz if you jiggle the distributor while trying to start it he catches for a second but not completely. everything external of the engine checks out fine and have replaced alot that wasnt up to snuff so now i have gotten it down to basically something internal is wrong... never rebuilt an engine but looks like im gunna have to learn :

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.