Help to change cylinders head gasket to V8 engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help to change cylinders head gasket to V8 engine

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 12-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
ural
1997 ZJ 

Help to change cylinders head gasket to V8 engine

I live in Uruguay and work as a mechanic, we got Jeeps in Uruguay, but they are NOT the more common cars!

So, as a aimple mechanic, like me, is not common to work with one of those.

I got a client that buy one Grand Cherokee limited 1997, V8 petrol engine, but now is passing oil to water, so I need to dismount both cylinders heads.

I can do that just working and watching, but I really prefer to have some info from a workshop manual to work better.

If it is possible, I like to know if someone can provide me with info about the procedures to dismount cylinders heads.

The vehicle is an Grand Cherokee 1997 limited V8 petrol engine.

Thanking in advance your coopeartion I remain.

Best regards

Henry Ghisolfo

ural is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Its not a hard job just time consuming.

1) Remove intake manifold and all items attached to it; intake tube, air hat, fuel rail, injectors, hoses, alternator, a/c compressor, p/s pump, front bracket
2) label and remove spark plugs and exhaust manifolds
3) remove rocker arms and pushrods <---make sure to label each one exactly where it goes on each head!!
4) loosen head bolts a little at a time until the are all loose then remove them
5) remove head and old gasket
6) installation is reverse of removal
Unread 12-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
sebian
1995 ZJ 

You will also want to check the condition of the cylinder heads for warping or cracking. Make sure the gasket surfaces and very clean and not damaged before reinstalling, or they will keep leaking.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
1skrewsloose
1998 ZJ 

What is the need to replace head gaskets? If you go that far, might as well do a valve job too, depending on mileage. Sorry, oil to water, my bad.
1skrewsloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ural View Post
I live in Uruguay and work as a mechanic, we got Jeeps in Uruguay, but they are NOT the more common cars!

So, as a aimple mechanic, like me, is not common to work with one of those.

I got a client that buy one Grand Cherokee limited 1997, V8 petrol engine, but now is passing oil to water, so I need to dismount both cylinders heads.

I can do that just working and watching, but I really prefer to have some info from a workshop manual to work better.

If it is possible, I like to know if someone can provide me with info about the procedures to dismount cylinders heads.

The vehicle is an Grand Cherokee 1997 limited V8 petrol engine.

Thanking in advance your coopeartion I remain.

Best regards

Henry Ghisolfo
You should have a PM with the info (FSM) needed to fix whatever you need to fix on that Jeep. Also if you have a 97 Grand, it is a ZJ and not a WJ like you have noted in your profile.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
ural
1997 ZJ 

Thank you very much for all your help my friends!

Before...

And thanks to you, after!

The gasket was very BAD burn, and the radiator have a leak in a hide part!

Hope that everything goes well!

Thanks again my friends.

Merry Christmas for all of you!

Henry
Unread 12-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Lookin good, now the fun part is cleaning it up and puttin her back together!

On a side note, make sure you check the plenum pan for a blown gasket, now's the time to tackle that job since you have it torn down that far already and I can all but guarantee you its probably leaking, they all do sooner or later. Things to look for are oil pooling inside the intake manifold as well as pinging, lack of power and bad gas mileage. Save yourself the trouble and time and get a Hughes/APS/Ebay aluminum plenum plate and FelPro gasket set and never worry about it again.

Lastly; make sure to replace the hose I circled in green in the picture, they have a tendency to leak after they're re-used and they are a pain to get to!

Keep us informed on your progress or if you have any questions. Merry Christmas!
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
ural
1997 ZJ 

Dear friends!

Happy new year for all of you!

All the best for the 2013!

The engine is now running very good, but I find new troubles (many due to bad and poor maintenance, like many water leaks etc.)

Now, I got new trouble, sometimes engine starts, and run normal , but sometimes, not moderate its operation and simply shuts down, (at high revolutions works normal) I believe it could be the IAC motor that sometimes works, and for any reason other times doesnīt.

Any idea about another kind of trouble that can make this happend? or how to test the IAC? (battery is in bad condition too...)

best regards

Henry
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ural View Post
Dear friends!

Happy new year for all of you!

All the best for the 2013!

The engine is now running very good, but I find new troubles (many due to bad and poor maintenance, like many water leaks etc.)

Now, I got new trouble, sometimes engine starts, and run normal , but sometimes, not moderate its operation and simply shuts down, (at high revolutions works normal) I believe it could be the IAC motor that sometimes works, and for any reason other times doesnīt.

Any idea about another kind of trouble that can make this happend? or how to test the IAC? (battery is in bad condition too...)

best regards

Henry
I'd pull the IAC out and clean it with carb cleaner till its nice and shiny then re-install it and see if that helps. Do you have a check engine light on when the engine is running?
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #10
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

replace battery , clean terminals , test alternator , might just do the trick . these zj's do not like bad batteries and poor connections
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Indeed. Get the battery replaced would be the first thing. That can cause all sorts of other weird problems.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #12
ural
1997 ZJ 

My dear friends,

I donīt forget you, is as simple as I donīt have any more Jeep to share with you

The client finally still donīt pay the bill, so the Cherokee is in my garage... with the same failure, since I refuse to put any more money on this truck!

Best regards to all, thanks for all you help, and as soon as the client pay, I let you know!

Thanks!

Henry
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #13
ural
1997 ZJ 

Dear friends...

I still got the Cherokee here! the client never pay me, so I got the Jeep, unfortunatelly I got to wait 6 years before can do something with her!

Best regards and thanks for your help

Henry

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.