Help! Battery won't keep charged! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help! Battery won't keep charged!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 12-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
E-Racer
1993 ZJ 

Help! Battery won't keep charged!

Battery wont stay charged while driving. I can start the engine, put it in drive and have a smooth ride, but the guage for my battery shows the battery charge slowly dropping. Right now my temporary fixe has been unplugging the radio/antenna, took out the fuse for the interior lights, i keep yhe AC/heater off, and drive with now heads lights. Battery still slowly drains. Ive been having it recharged at advance auto. Alright before you ask. I checked the battery and alltenator. Took it to advance autos and they checked them out with their diagnostic tool. There was a weird clicking noise whenever i would open the door, so I figured there was wire draining the battery somehow. Took apart the dash and inspected the radio, VIC, and glove department. I noticed that the silonoid on the block under the glove department was making the sound, I disconnected it but then i heard a electric swush sound so i plugged the solinoid back in. I Was afraid i might be damaging something. I'm working on replacing the battery cables. The positive cable has some brown discoloration. I was wondering if anyone had anyother suggestions or ideas.

E-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
melk
1996 ZJ 

It sucks but it's almost guaranteed to be a bad battery and/or alternator. Plenty of stories on here from folks who had random electrical problems with the batt/alt testing good. Eventually replaced them and it did the trick. GL.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
E-Racer
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
It sucks but it's almost guaranteed to be a bad battery and/or alternator. Plenty of stories on here from folks who had random electrical problems with the batt/alt testing good. Eventually replaced them and it did the trick. GL.
Yeah I got lazy and didn't check the forums. Thanks though melk, I'll keep an open mind to the testers being incorrect. I'm going to look through the forums now.
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
tcar
2000 WJ 

Could be a bad diode in the alternator.

Could be a short somewhere.

Don't know of an electric motor that operates when the door is open??? Strange.

Do a google search for "parasitic drain" or battery drain.
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

Sounds like alternator. If the battery is good, the alternator should still power the rest of the vehicle.
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
impuresoul2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
E-Racer
1993 ZJ 

Well I think I fixed it. Went to the AAutos and was going to replace the terminals. Decided against it. I scatched the top layer of the insulation of the battery cables to check for burned discoloration. Coloration look great under the surfaced. Decided the cables and terminals were good. Talked to the AA guys and they said they could gurentee if the alternator and battery are bad or good if I removed them from the vehicle and had the test them. Bat and alt passed through all checks. I did notice something when I was removing the alt. A connector on the positive cable was heavily corroded. Cleaned it right up and the battery now keeps a charge. It's the only problem I could find that could possibly cause a problem like this. Amazing how I stinker onto it. I went through so many checks and disconnecting of wiring to find the cause. Well I guess I'll have plenty to put back together now. Radio, VIC, Interior lights, overhead roofing console. Thanks for the support guys, your input helped me brainstorm. Wish I could upload the pics I have of the connector. Could help others. Not hard to find tho, just follow the red cable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.