Help! AX-15 Swap ECU Reprogram - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help! AX-15 Swap ECU Reprogram

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

Might be slightly more complicated, but probably do able

(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpequignot View Post
I was just thinking that you could possibly wire something up with some resistors and the such to simulate the transmission is there and everything is good with the sensors.
you'd need to know what the readings are supposed to be under all conditions and how they synch up with what the ecu portion is telling the tcu portion of the pcm to do.

you'd pretty much have to build a virtual transmission. think you can handle that?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey
think you can handle that?
Me as a 17year old high school student. No! But someone that is very knowledgable on Chrysler transmissions. And is good at wiring. I'm sure it would be a h*** of a project. And could possibly be sold to others doing the same swap in emissions states. I'd like to see if someone could do it.
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you'd need a microprocessor controlling voltage and pulse generators that takes inputs from the tps, vss, brake sense circuit as well as the outputs from the tcm telling the solenoids what to do. you'd then need to have access to the base programming tables for the TCU portion of the pcm to be able to determine the voltages the "virtual transmission" needs to send back to the tcm for it to be happy. those base tables aren't available to anyone as they're coded and locked in the pcm.

way way way more work than you could think.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #20
southside
1997 ZJ 

Hey fellas...
I'm about two months away from having to pull my Jeep off the road for good.
It didn't pass emissions because of the tranny dtc's, and my registration is due the second week of Jan.
Has anyone heard or seen a way to make the CEL go away?

If not, does anyone want to buy my ZJ? :-/
southside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #21
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

move to a no emissions state?

buy a trailer and haul it to the trail?

put the right transmission in it?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #22
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

There is no compatible ecu to swap, have you tried contacting one of the ecu programmers like hemifever? Other than that you're screwed. Time to find a ODB1 zj and swap all your kit to it.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #23
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

lol id say what others have suggested and jurry rig it to come on and turn off with the rest and see if it works probably much easier than the obd 1 swap.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside View Post
Hey fellas...
I'm about two months away from having to pull my Jeep off the road for good.
It didn't pass emissions because of the tranny dtc's, and my registration is due the second week of Jan.
Has anyone heard or seen a way to make the CEL go away?

If not, does anyone want to buy my ZJ? :-/

Was hoping you find a way to remedy this when I saw this thread back... bummer.

If it were me.. and it almost was, I'd be looking for an address outside emissions regulations.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
southside
1997 ZJ 

I might have to do just that...

Can anyone confirm that the factory service manual has troubleshooting guides for the transmission sensors? For instance, does it give you the voltage ranges/readings each sensor is looking for?
Unread 11-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #26
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside View Post
i might have to do just that...

Can anyone confirm that the factory service manual has troubleshooting guides for the transmission sensors? For instance, does it give you the voltage ranges/readings each sensor is looking for?
pm...
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #27
southside
1997 ZJ 

Ok...so a buddy of mine is going to give me a hand with an Arduino system that will hopefully mimic the old transmission.
These are the three codes that are keeping me from passing emissions:
-P0753
-P0713 I found a note on here that this code is thrown only when the trans temp sensor reads over 3.76 volts. If we can simulate the voltage this sensor is looking for, we might be able to eliminate this code. If it's a voltage range, we'll be able to program in the range and set a timer with coding to make it increase or decrease once the car has been on for a length of time.
-P1899

Does anyone have any other tidbits that might help us figure out what each sensor needs for a voltage so that it thinks I still have a auto transmission in my tunnel?

I'm hoping to get this project started next week. If it works, we've already talked about making a few units that we'd offer up to the forum to those who've been looking for a solution to the AX15 swap check-engine-light.
Unread 11-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #28
southside
1997 ZJ 

Can anyone provide input?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.