Help! AX-15 Swap ECU Reprogram - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help! AX-15 Swap ECU Reprogram

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 01-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
southside
1997 ZJ 

Help! AX-15 Swap ECU Reprogram

To cut to the chase: I remember reading here once about some dude sending his ECU to a shop in Michigan that was able reflash the firmware to work with a 5-speed instead of an auto. Does anyone know of that shop or the guy who got his OBD2 ZJ to play nice 'without' a tranny?

The long and short of it: Last winter, I yanked out my old worn automatic and swapped in a low mileage AX-15. Since my ZJ is OBD2, I was able to get everything but an ECU. It has been running without a hitch, since.

My only problem is: my Jeep is up for emissions testing this March. The ECU thinks my tranny has taken a long walk off a short pier and is setting off the Check Engine Light. The state funded emissions centers won't even pull the vehicle into the bay if that light stays on once the car is idling.

Any hints, ideas, contact info or encouragement would help a LOT.
I love this thing and now that it's a 5-speed, I can't even see getting rid of it.

southside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

pull the bulb.
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
southside
1997 ZJ 

Hahaha...that would work if they didn't require it to illuminate with the key in the ignition.
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I talked with several companies about it. They could alter the performance so that it would work better with the manual, it has different idle and engine braking characteristics, but couldn't do anything about the check engine light. That's hardware and not a program change. Can't get rid of it on the obdii.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
southside
1997 ZJ 

How recently did you speak to those companies?
Unread 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside View Post
How recently did you speak to those companies?
couple years back. the guys that designed the PCM's said they can't remove the parts of the main program that reference the TCU hardware.

Unread 01-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Would it be feasible to install an ECU for a manual and adapt the harnesses and sensors to accompany it? You would be converting it to OBD1... to much to think about this early... lol
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside View Post
Hahaha...that would work if they didn't require it to illuminate with the key in the ignition.
Wire the light to come on with the key on, and off with engine running?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Could a obd2 xj ecu be able to made work? Maybe even just enough to pass emissions test then switch back to the zj ecu. I'm just thinkin out loud on this. Any input on this?
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpequignot View Post
Could a obd2 xj ecu be able to made work? Maybe even just enough to pass emissions test then switch back to the zj ecu. I'm just thinkin out loud on this. Any input on this?
it's been tried, they don't work with zj's. though the v8 works with dodge ecu's.
i can't tell you why they're so different, only that they are. no one has found a work around to my knowledge.

Unread 01-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey
it's been tried, they don't work with zj's. though the v8 works with dodge ecu's.
i can't tell you why they're so different, only that they are. no one has found a work around to my knowledge.
Did you put a dodge ecu in your zj?
Unread 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I agree with max, wire the cel to the abs or similar light so it comes on at ignition and then goes off with the rest of them.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
southside
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I think that might be my only 'legal' way out. I can't imagine why they wouldn't work with one another...
Even if I could pull the whole harness off a junked XJ...it's all the same plugs, right?

On the other hand, my cluster is on its way out anyways. My coolant temp is pegged at zero... maybe I should rig it.
Problem is... they still scan the car for stored codes. If they can't flash the bulb on command, I'm SOL.

Back to the drawing board.
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

I was talking to a friend who is an electrical engineer, it might be possible to dummy some of the sensors. Govenor pressure would possibly be hardest
(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

I was just thinking that you could possibly wire something up with some resistors and the such to simulate the transmission is there and everything is good with the sensors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.