JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Help! AX-15 Swap ECU Reprogram (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/help-ax-15-swap-ecu-reprogram-1464922/)

southside 01-17-2013 07:03 AM

Help! AX-15 Swap ECU Reprogram

To cut to the chase: I remember reading here once about some dude sending his ECU to a shop in Michigan that was able reflash the firmware to work with a 5-speed instead of an auto. Does anyone know of that shop or the guy who got his OBD2 ZJ to play nice 'without' a tranny?

The long and short of it: Last winter, I yanked out my old worn automatic and swapped in a low mileage AX-15. Since my ZJ is OBD2, I was able to get everything but an ECU. It has been running without a hitch, since.

My only problem is: my Jeep is up for emissions testing this March. The ECU thinks my tranny has taken a long walk off a short pier and is setting off the Check Engine Light. The state funded emissions centers won't even pull the vehicle into the bay if that light stays on once the car is idling.

Any hints, ideas, contact info or encouragement would help a LOT.
I love this thing and now that it's a 5-speed, I can't even see getting rid of it.

Rich93ZJ 01-17-2013 07:13 AM

pull the bulb.:2thumbsup:

southside 01-17-2013 07:15 AM

Hahaha...that would work if they didn't require it to illuminate with the key in the ignition.:mad:

ratmonkey 01-17-2013 10:40 AM

I talked with several companies about it. They could alter the performance so that it would work better with the manual, it has different idle and engine braking characteristics, but couldn't do anything about the check engine light. That's hardware and not a program change. Can't get rid of it on the obdii.

southside 01-17-2013 04:13 PM

How recently did you speak to those companies?

ratmonkey 01-17-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southside (Post 14806558)
How recently did you speak to those companies?

couple years back. the guys that designed the PCM's said they can't remove the parts of the main program that reference the TCU hardware.

ZeeJay1997 01-18-2013 05:57 AM

Would it be feasible to install an ECU for a manual and adapt the harnesses and sensors to accompany it? You would be converting it to OBD1... to much to think about this early... lol

Mean Max 01-18-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southside (Post 14804036)
Hahaha...that would work if they didn't require it to illuminate with the key in the ignition.:mad:

Wire the light to come on with the key on, and off with engine running?

Max

nickpequignot 01-18-2013 03:19 PM

Could a obd2 xj ecu be able to made work? Maybe even just enough to pass emissions test then switch back to the zj ecu. I'm just thinkin out loud on this. Any input on this?

ratmonkey 01-18-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickpequignot (Post 14811789)
Could a obd2 xj ecu be able to made work? Maybe even just enough to pass emissions test then switch back to the zj ecu. I'm just thinkin out loud on this. Any input on this?

it's been tried, they don't work with zj's. though the v8 works with dodge ecu's.
i can't tell you why they're so different, only that they are. no one has found a work around to my knowledge.

nickpequignot 01-18-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmonkey
it's been tried, they don't work with zj's. though the v8 works with dodge ecu's.
i can't tell you why they're so different, only that they are. no one has found a work around to my knowledge.

Did you put a dodge ecu in your zj?

kg6mov 01-18-2013 04:21 PM

I agree with max, wire the cel to the abs or similar light so it comes on at ignition and then goes off with the rest of them.

southside 02-13-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmonkey (Post 14811843)

I think that might be my only 'legal' way out. I can't imagine why they wouldn't work with one another...
Even if I could pull the whole harness off a junked XJ...it's all the same plugs, right?

On the other hand, my cluster is on its way out anyways. My coolant temp is pegged at zero... maybe I should rig it.
Problem is... they still scan the car for stored codes. If they can't flash the bulb on command, I'm SOL.

Back to the drawing board. :(

jmonty0523 02-14-2013 11:20 AM

I was talking to a friend who is an electrical engineer, it might be possible to dummy some of the sensors. Govenor pressure would possibly be hardest

nickpequignot 02-14-2013 12:03 PM

I was just thinking that you could possibly wire something up with some resistors and the such to simulate the transmission is there and everything is good with the sensors.

The time now is 07:40 PM.