Help! alarm wont turn off - killing the battery! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help! alarm wont turn off - killing the battery!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
mattc123
1993 ZJ 

Help! alarm wont turn off - killing the battery!

<grand cherokee 5.2L v8>

Does anyone know how to completely reset and/or completely disable the security system in a 93 ZJ? I just bought this beast a couple days ago, and ended up draining the battery doing some work with the lights on.

when I went to jump it the alarm starting going off as soon as i got the cables hooked up. no horn relay, just the headlamps flashing. the dash is flashing "security."

it seems the engine wont turn over while the alarm is going off, so im stuck in a nasty pickle. alarm wont turn off, engine wont start, battery wont charge :/

alarm wont stop going off until the battery is dead. and no remote is available to disable it

right now
battery is disconnected and hooked up to a charger

what i have tried
-followed the owners manual guide to reseting the alarm. locked doors, unlocked with key.
-all doors and hatch were shut (hatch lock has a key fragment stuck in it)
disconnected auto/shutdown fuse from PDC, shut all doors, locked, unlocked, tried to turn over
-disconnect battery terminals. reconnected hours later (charged) - alarm resumed.

cant i just disconnect this stupid alarm?! any ideas??? my wife is pissed lol

thanks in advance!

mattc123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

First of all gratz on your 93 ZJ, welcome to the Jeep club.

I dont know much about the Jeep Alarm's. But here is a writeup done by someone on how to disable it. Maybe this will work ?

If you try this becarefull taking the panel off after you remove the screws. Its only held on by little clips which you can buy for like 20 cents in the auto store, but dont break your panel in half or something by trying to pry it too much. The clips at least on my 98's slide down to come off they dont "pop" off

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...our-zj-483020/
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
mattc123
1993 ZJ 

thanks for the welcome! i did read that thread after i posted this, and i will try that asap, however I am not convinced this is going to disable the alarms "vehicle immobilizer system" which wont allow the car to start.

i would gladly cut the wire, but id like to actually turn the alarm off and start the thing before I do.

Anyone know if cutting that purple wire is going to allow me to start the vehicle? lol
Unread 01-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Just an old memory thinking here, but I think i read a post where cutting that wire didn't work.Do some more research before you do. The one most important piece of advise I think can be given to a newb jeep owner is to get a factory service manual as soon as possible. Jeeps have miles of 18 and 20 gauge wire in them, much which are exposed to flex, heat or the elements. Wiring bugaboos are many as they age. I like figuring stuff like that out, but would be lost without a factory manual.
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

It may be something as simple as the key you have stuck in your latch. The doors have a switch that is stuck on the end of the lock cylinders on 96-98. Not familar with 93 though.
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
mattc123
1993 ZJ 

agreed coralman. according the factory manual that i picked up. the vehicle immobilizer system can only be disabled with the remote keyless entry button

Quote:
Active disarming of the vehicle immobilizer system occurs when the Unlock button of either of the two Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitters is depressed, regardless of ignition switch position. This is the only way that the vehicle immobilizer system can be disarmed.
why on earth would that be the only way to disarm it? And why on earth would the stupid vehicle immobilizer turn on by default if the battery dies, and/or gets disconnected?

am i up sh*t creek at the moment or what? lol
Unread 01-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
mattc123
1993 ZJ 

it may be, but that key in the hatch has been there forever according to the previous owner. seems the battery dieing and my jumping it was the culprit.

Just boggles my mind the only way to actively disarm it is with the remote :-/
Unread 01-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

lock all the doors, then unlock them all with the key. all lock cylinders have the switch on them, sometimes they wear out though. the hatch is the most common one to remain functional the longest, since no one uses it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
lock all the doors, then unlock them all with the key. all lock cylinders have the switch on them, sometimes they wear out though. the hatch is the most common one to remain functional the longest, since no one uses it.
The hatch cylinder is also most likely to seize up too from nobody using it

I had this problem, the neighbors had to endure 30 minutes of the alarm going off because I couldnt get my key in ANY locks to unlock the doors!

Finally was able to squirt enough penetrating oil in there to get it to work on the passenger side. I had to remove the rear panel to unseize the rear hatch lock cylinder.

Yard

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
mattc123
1993 ZJ 

i ended up cutting and grounding a purple wire in the drivers side door as mentioned in another thread and it worked like a charm.

when i reconnected the battery after cutting that wire, the alarm was off and the vehicle immobilizer was deactivated. she runs again

thanks for the help guys, appreciate it!
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
rickm75
1992 XJ Cherokee 

you can also remove the glove box and then remove the panel behind the glove box. there is some wires you can undo,the wires is up under the dash,this will disable the alarm system.i went through this because i dont have the key fob,i locked the doors and when i opened them the alarm went off,the only way to get it shut off was this,but come to find out i could have unlocked the hatch like you all had mentioned.if you undo the wires i was talking about you wont have that problem anymore.
rickm75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
mattc123
1993 ZJ 

definitely. sucks that this seems to only work half the time for some other people on this forum. selfishly im glad it worked for me . stupid alarm lol
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
ctrill

Fixed Problem Alarm wont go off after trying to jump

After having this problem happen to a buddy of mine where his 99 Jeep Wrangler Sahara's battery died and when we tried to jump it the alarm (which he thought he didn't have) started going off and the vehicle wouldn't even turn over because it was is anti theft mode and trying everything from pulling out fuses, trying to disconnect the alarm, the only other thing we thought of doing was towing it to the jeep shop. I finally googled and found this blog on the similar situation. After reading everyone's response on how to fix the problem; locking/unlocking doors and hatch, cutting different wires (bad idea) pulling the battery out.... a guy stopped by on the side of the road and all we he did was this to fix the problem:

He Disconnected the positive wire from the battery, turned the jeep over getting all the memory out of the capacitors, reconnected the positive wire back in, jumped it again, and VOILA all done! Works like a charm without having to do anything detrimental to the vehicle.

Saved Time, Money(towing the vehicle to a Jeep shop which we called and they said they would disconnect the alarm $250 estimate with tow) and a big worry.

Last edited by ctrill; 11-30-2011 at 07:59 PM..
ctrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
redneck7281986

I just had this issue as well on a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Disconnecting the battery and turning the ignition switch to the on position for about 5 minutes worked like a charm!!
redneck7281986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.