HELP!! 96 GRAND CHEROKEE! CANT SWITCH FROM 4 Wheel drive to 2 wheel drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP!! 96 GRAND CHEROKEE! CANT SWITCH FROM 4 Wheel drive to 2 wheel drive

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
4x4cherokee96

HELP!! 96 GRAND CHEROKEE! CANT SWITCH FROM 4 Wheel drive to 2 wheel drive

okay heres my issue, i bought a 1996 grand cherokee yesterday and i was told it never ran for 1 1/2 years, because the ignition coil went, and the owner thought it would be smart to keep trying to start it.. duh and the starter burnt out.. lol so i bought the jeep and got a used starter and used ignition coil. and installed it. sure enough... i had to boost it.. and she started right up. but it ran really rough, and started blowing black smoke out the tail pipe really bad! then that went away. when i looked over it more i found that the drive shaft that connects the front axle and transfer case isnt their... and the lever that switches from 4x4 to 2 wheel drive wont move.. and theirs a clunking noise in the front when driven..i found somehting that looks like a "c" thats in between the axel and the center of the wheel.. on both sides are loose an i believe thats whats causing the clunk.. but what is that? universal joint? and why wont it switch from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. its stuck in 4 wheel drive right now. but obviously its not because theirs no stupid drive shaft.. what im asking is what that "C" looking thing is.. i need this thing fixed asap so i can drive it!

4x4cherokee96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.