Help! 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-Violent Shaking. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help! 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-Violent Shaking.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 07-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
nickharde7
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

Help! 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-Violent Shaking.

Hi, I recently got a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. 4.0 V8 all stock. 197k miles. Calipers got stuck, replaced brakes, rotors and calipers. Supposedly has a rebuilt tranny 45k miles ago, this jeep was a mechanics lien( guy never paid for rebuilt tranny, mechanic kept jeep) But no paperwork.

I towed my 19ft inboard bayliner open bow about 45 minutes through windy hills. It definitely put some strain on the jeep. Since then as i accelerate its a bit more sluggish. but when i get to above 40mph, and only when i accelerate( lightly to heavily) it shakes extremely hard, steering wheel and whole front end just rattles like its going to fall apart. If i step on gas pedal to the metal it will accelerate fine no shake, and when i let go of gas gets perfectly smooth. I replaced cap and rotor/ air filter, fuel filter. All gauges read fine no warning lights come on and no overheating at all.

Suggested to me that u-joints could be going bad. However i drove with a couple doors inside truck and hatch was open so i could hear engine sounds out of muffler... the pitch would change alot and it was chugging and just sounded sick.

Ive read about the death wobble... but from what Ive heard that happens after hitting a certain speed and is a steady shaking. Mines only when i accelerate.

It seems like its not getting enough gas, but at the same time it doesnt seem to have any less acceleration.

I am stumped, but since I have three kids and this is my only vehicle, I'm hoping someone knows what this could be? I sincerely appreciate everyone's time!
Nick

nickharde7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
justanotherjpr

First, you need to locate the shaking. Is it the engine or the steering? Is it a 4.0L inline 6 or a 5.2L v-8?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
nickharde7
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

Well when its shaking the entire steering column shakes really hard. The whole vehicle jerks though. My wife could see it when it shook following behind me in her car. Thats what made me think its steering or u-joint or something... but the engine sounds and the chugging and half-sputtering is what made me question that.

And sorry yes its a 5.2 V8... not sure why i put 4.0
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Garvin
1986 MJ Comanche 

The gas issue could be a ton of issues from fuel to electronic. Does it rev up fine at idle and in the low gears or is the issue throughout every gear? Did you run it low on gas?

The death wobble could also be a ton of issues. Is there play in any of the steering linkages? Are the tires balanced correctly (can check doing a tire rotation to see if it gets any better or the shake moves to the rear)? Are the bushings in the control arms good? Are the hubs and ball joints good? To rule out a u-joint, grab the drive shaft and shake it to see if there is any play in it. I have yet to see a u-joint cause death wobble issues.
Roll Bar, 15/38.5R16.5 Ground Hawgs, Bastard lift (Custom 3-link long arm system, 4.5" Rusty's front springs w/ 1.75" spacers and 6.5" RC shocks, SOA rear), Dana 60HP/Sterling 10.25, 4.10's, Recessed winch, more mods to come...

[B]1992 Jeep Comanche 174000+ miles[/B]
Short Bed, 4.0L I6 HO, AX15, NP231
In the process of doing a frame up restoration.

...RIP...
[B]1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ 207774 miles[/B]
4.0L I6, AW4, NP231. Tom Woods SYE and Drive Shaft, Rusty's 8.0" Long Arm Suspension Lift, 36/13.5R15 Super Swamper IROK's, Dana 30 Front, Tube Diff Guard, Dana 44 Rear, 4.56 gears, Ox Locker, disc brake conversion
Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Moved to ZJ-land.
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
nickharde7
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

When i rev in idle it does shake a bit, engine is definitely running rough. And it does that really bad shaking i think in 3rd and fourth gear only when im accelerating(without stomping on pedal)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.