Help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help!!!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 05-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
giantdave
1997 ZJ 

Help!!!

so ive been having problems with my 97 grand cherokee, and i need to drive it 500 miles loaded with stuff back home.

i tried to start it the other day, and it almost didnt start, but i gave it some gas and it was fine. then when i got to where i was going, i shut it off and all the lights died. sounds normal, but the lights arent all suppose to die, like the headlights stay on for a while and stuff. it acted like the battery was dead.
then 10 minutes later the lights came back on and it started fine. then it did it again one more time, and i drove it back to campus and it was fine except all the lights and dashboards were flickering.

now, its running fine, the battery is fine and the alternator is fine. i had those checked at autozone. the only thing now is that the computer thing...the screenthat says a door is opened or when i need an oil change.. it keeps flashing. whole thing on and off, plus th etime keeps getting messed up. and i dunno why

pls help!

Unread 05-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
Elkaholic
NMElkaholic

1998 ZJ 

Electrical short?? Computer freaking out??
98 5.9, Platinum 4.5 RE SF all adjustable arms, RE Monotube Shocks, Carolina front drive shaft, Pro Comp Extream Alloys Stryker's, 285/75/16 BFG's KM2's,Stage 1 rock sliders,Confer roof rack,Warn XD9000i winch, 3" Kolak exhaust system, Addco front swaybar and lot's more goodies.. 79 CJ5 AMC 304 33x12.5 Pro Comp X-tream mud tires on 15x12 MT classics. 3" lift.
Elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

have you checked your oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ndard-1056365/
5.9 ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
CrazyWalnut13
2000 WJ 

Sounds like it's the flux capacitor to me.

(200th post)
Formerly Default Jeeper #13
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 with stuff. Look left for the deets.
CrazyWalnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
giantdave
1997 ZJ 

well it does say that i need an oil change. does it flash when it gets to zero? i havent had it long and i dont have a manual.
Unread 05-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

Bad ground somewhere or like said above a short somewhere. Sometimes battey cables can get corroded way up inside. It could also be the BCM.
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
TheCompound
1994 ZJ 

Mine acted just like that, come to find out the (-) terminal on the battery was loose. Hope that helps
But it does sound like a loose connection somewhere.
-TheCompound
TheCompound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

that actually really does sound like a battery connection problem... clean your battery terminals, I would bet that solves the problem
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
zjhitman

Mine did that right before my battery died. So you either have a loose or dirty connection at the battery terminals or your battery is about to die, regardless of what Autozone told you. Sometimes they have an intermittant dead cell in them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.