help,5.5inch lift on my grand,bad vibrations. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > help,5.5inch lift on my grand,bad vibrations.

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-02-2004, 09:17 PM   #1
wegotused

help,5.5inch lift on my grand,bad vibrations.

i was hoping someone else had this problem and can help me..i have a 96 grand,4.0,242 t case.4.5 inch rubicon express with 1 inch spacer..34 inch trxus swampers..had vibrations when i first installed lift so i put a slip yoke elim. kit on it..still have vibrations,so bad i rarely drive it..i have put many lifts on and consider myself very mechanically inclined but i cant figure this out.i have adjustable rear arms and pointed my rear pinion up at the transfer case rear yoke as i was told to do when you have a slip yoke elim. kit with a double cardon driveshaft..i took out the front shaft,still have a vibration..any ideas?????i have an awesome looking jeep i cant use..please help..

wegotused is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 09:55 PM   #2
DrewT

Did you get a front end alignment after you put the lift on? Also, make shure your tires are balanced....

Good luck

-Drew
DrewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 06:18 AM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Where did you get the SYE from? and why? You don't need it for that lift. Did you install the transfercase lowering spacers?

Lots of guys get talked into the SYE. Maybe I've just been really lucky. Yet, I've had no problems at all.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
wegotused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
Where did you get the SYE from? and why? You don't need it for that lift. Did you install the transfercase lowering spacers?

Lots of guys get talked into the SYE. Maybe I've just been really lucky. Yet, I've had no problems at all.

Hunter
Hey Hunter,wow you have 6.5 inches and no vibrations,man what did i do wrong..i did install the tcase lowering kit..RE suggested the sye,but it made no difference..im really stumped..thanks for your help..Matt
wegotused is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Are the yokes properly aligned? If you dissembled the driveline at the slip yoke and didn't mark the halves, then you might have reassembled it with the yokes out of "time".This can cause a vibration.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 09:30 PM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Check the yokes, You might want to check and see if you have bent one of the rear axles. Did you have the vibes before the lift or just after? Did you have them before or after a wheeling trip? I knocked a wheel weight off once and the thing vibrated like a mutha until I got it fixed.

Please keep me updated on this. I want to be able to help others with the same problem later on.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 11:46 AM   #7
mudd

hmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegotused
i was hoping someone else had this problem and can help me..i have a 96 grand,4.0,242 t case.4.5 inch rubicon express with 1 inch spacer..34 inch trxus swampers..had vibrations when i first installed lift so i put a slip yoke elim. kit on it..still have vibrations,so bad i rarely drive it..i have put many lifts on and consider myself very mechanically inclined but i cant figure this out.i have adjustable rear arms and pointed my rear pinion up at the transfer case rear yoke as i was told to do when you have a slip yoke elim. kit with a double cardon driveshaft..i took out the front shaft,still have a vibration..any ideas?????i have an awesome looking jeep i cant use..please help..

hate to sound redundant but check the balancing again. depending on how much you know and trust the people who balance your tires 34" swampers are not easily balanced. i have very reputable people balance my tires and have had them do it for a number of years. yet still once, about six months ago they werent very accurate and i about bounced off the road on the way home at only 35 mph. and i only have 32" mudders. double check by putting on the stock tires and taking it for a spin, youll look silly but it could save you some headache.
mudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.