Help with 4.0 valve cover leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help with 4.0 valve cover leak

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-11-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
Kcolg

Help with 4.0 valve cover leak

Help....20:30 hours and stuck working on the Jeep still.

My valve cover gasket is leaking, mainly in the to rear portion of the vlave cover. I have taken the bolts out, and even un bolted the throttle body because the cables running over the valve cover would not let me lift it off otherwise. Well no my problem is I can not get the cover to lift all the way off becuase of a vent hose of some sort on the top and back portion of the valve cover. As I try to lift the cover up, this elbow vent hose thing hits the top of the engine compartment and wont give me enough space to lift the cover off. I was able to pull the hose off but do not know how to get the elbow section off of the top of valve cover. I tried turning it, thinking it was threaded and nothing, also tried pulling up on it, but am afraid I am goind to break it off. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1994 ZJ - 4.0 - 242 - 4.5" RE lift - 32" Maxxis Bighorns - 4.11 gears - Super 35 axle - Ected lockers front and rear - On Board Air - JKS Quicker Disco's - ARB front - engine/TC/Gas tank skids - home made sliders - a little of Kevins stuff

Kcolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
zjay

Sounds like the pcv valve (actually an orfice) is in the way. I usually remove them with a prybar, and yes it'll break. I usually have another to replace it with. It pulls straight up to remove, but is very tight. You MIGHT be able to free it by rocking it back and forth with 2 screwdrivers as you raise it up. If you can think of some save way to warm the rubber grommet it is in, that may help it it's cold.
zjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2005, 09:17 PM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

You dont have to remove the entire throttle body. The cables pop off and you can just set them aside.

And you can remove the valve cover without removing the elbow section you are talking about. If you twist it the right way you can tilt the cover to the drivers side and slide it right out.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
Kcolg

Tried the tilt method and it still was not able to clear. Tried prying the elbow off and "Snap" it broke. Now I have the cover off

Had the hine sight to call Orielly Auto Parts for a new elbow just before I broke it and they have them but it will take a week to get them. Will have to check with the Stealership tomorrow, hopefully they have them in stock. I am just worried about how I am going to get the cover back on once I put the new elbow on. Also broke the plastic hoses that attach to the elbows when trying to "gently" pull them off. Life lessons I guess.
1994 ZJ - 4.0 - 242 - 4.5" RE lift - 32" Maxxis Bighorns - 4.11 gears - Super 35 axle - Ected lockers front and rear - On Board Air - JKS Quicker Disco's - ARB front - engine/TC/Gas tank skids - home made sliders - a little of Kevins stuff

Kcolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

I broke the same pieces, pretty much doing the same thing. And while I don't recommend it as a good practice, I just superglued the broken pieces back together until the replacements arrived about 2 weeks later.

I mean, they ARE plastic...and hey, it worked for me.
Unread 11-12-2005, 10:11 PM   #6
zjay

Put on the valve cover FIRST, THEN work the elbow into the rubber grommet. It takes a little force and wiggling, but it will go in, a lot easier than it came out. If you look at it when it's out, you'll see the end that goes in is tapered to let it in, but not let it out.

And the hose to it, let me guess, broke at the rubber end to the elbow, right? They usually break there. Get a new one if you can or rig up a hose. It is a vavuum hose and you don't need a leak there.
zjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
Jeep-Tech1

Your local jeep dealer should have those fittings and groments. I've always wonderd why chrysler does not offer a gasket for that valve cover. We replace the whole valve cover when they leak, cause we don't offer a gasket for YM's 93-95. If they want come right off, I break them just like you did to get hem off. No use to try to wrestle with something so cheap.... Good luck...
Jeep-Tech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2005, 07:08 PM   #8
jeepjeepster

my dealership had them in stock, got them for our grand cherokee. same thing in the cherokees though. they were like $20 for the front and rear groments and elbows.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 03:00 AM   #9
TumorNamedMarla
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Last edited by TumorNamedMarla; 06-19-2011 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: delete please
TumorNamedMarla is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.