Help 4.0 starts momentarily then dies. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help 4.0 starts momentarily then dies.

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
a70eliminator

Help 4.0 starts momentarily then dies.

Hi all it's been awhile since I posted, my jeeps have been running so trouble free that I've forgotton how to troubleshoot them lol.
Anyhow I have this 92' 4.0 that I just bought for 250.00 a couple years ago, I just bought if for parts and the engine of course, i drove it home and parked it right where she sits now. I totally stripped the interior exept for drivers seat. The heater box the dashpad the speedo head it's all stripped out, nothing but a big gangly of wires seat and a steering wheel, even with all those parts missing it still drove right to where she sits now. I'm cleaning up the yard and decided it's past due time to move this Jeep to another spot, I put a battery in it and it cranked over fine even sputtered a couple times, I siphoned about 3 gal of sour not too bad gas out it and then pulsed the fuel pump to rid the last of it, put fresh gas into it and have it all the way to the fuel rail, it fires nicely and runs for about 3 seconds then quits as if i turned the key off, does this sound like it could be the security system screwing it up, cause it makes no difference weather the security box is plugged in or not. can you give me some ideas?

a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
a70eliminator

I went ahead and jumpered the purple/yellow connector at the drivers door lock mechanism, I just cut the connector and twisted the two wires together just like a true hack, still acts just like as if the security system is activated. it starts for a 3 second rev then totally dies. I will do this over and over and over.
Unread 06-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
JackAysJake

Hook up the battery then lock and unlock the drivers door. This will disable the security system.
JackAysJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
a70eliminator

I know that , my wife and I both have ZJ daily drivers and are pretty well familiar, I jumpered the key actuator switch to diable the security but still have the problem, something has more than likely had a bad connection from sitting for two years without being started ignition related, this forum has always been very informative, I guess this is just one of those issues that could have about a million and one different causes.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to old school hotwire the darn thing? It's just a field bomb, something for my kids to play with lol.
Unread 06-21-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

ignition would cut it off immediately? So is the fuel pump shutting off and letting it run for a few seconds on the residual pressure?
if you could hot wire it, perhaps the fuel pump and coil would be the place to do this.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
a70eliminator

Well all I know about the fuel pump is whe I pull the hose off the fuel rail feed and turn the key on, gas does squirt from the hose, only one pulse though, it won't just keep pumping continuously, not sure if thats right but when
I depress the schreader valve gas does squirt out.
Unread 06-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure the one squirt of gas is normal from when I had to troubleshhot mine. It was a damp night when mine had trouble. Ended up being a new cap, didn't see any cracks in it, but worked when changed.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
RWB214

My XJ does this sometimes, especially if the battery has been dead. It will start then die unless the I'm giving it gas. Solution is to hold the idle at about 1500 in neutral until the engine idles on it's own. I've never known if its an electrical issue or if the jeep is passing bad gas..
RWB214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

IF you are talking about a ZJ then it would be a 93. that was the first year introduced. anyway. It does sound like the Auto Shutdown Relay circuit to a tee. search that and you should be able to jumper out at the relay under the hood.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...+circuit+relay

here is one link,
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2009, 05:26 AM   #11
a70eliminator

Thanks you for that info, maybe I'll get lucky, by the way it is a 93' see it has been such a long time I've forgotten the model years. Can't wait to get home after work and mess with the auto shutdown relay you spoke of.
Unread 06-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #12
Tigggger
1995 ZJ 

JDorton had this problem not too long ago. Took him $500+ to fix it. First we replaced the battery, then went and got a Bosch Alternator, then brought it to Meineke to see what Dan could do. Fixed it for a while, then the next morning it started again, brought it back to Dan and dropped it off to him for a whole day. Turns out it was a bunch of wires that got corroded over time from all the deep water he's had to go through.
Tigggger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.