HELP 1997 ABS light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP 1997 ABS light

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-21-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
dan1s

HELP 1997 ABS light

Hi guys,

I have a 97 Grand Cherokee w/ 6cyl. air cond, 4wd. My ABS light is on and was wondering if anyone knows of a quick test to do to tell what the problem could be. I need to get my car inspected next month and it probably won't pass because of this. Has anyone had a problem with there ABS?

The sensors are all clean.

Thanks, Dan

dan1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
tonysailor

I flushed my brake system and I had a light. It was an air bubble.

I disconnected the battery, then restarted car. Then a code check, then the light went out.

T
tonysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
dan1s

Was that the break light or the ABS light?
Unread 07-21-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
djd24

mine passed with it on
Unread 07-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Pull a fuse out. I don't think it will be an issue for inspection but just in case....
tonysailor is right, ABS can be affected by brake system but you'd have both lights on, ABS and brake, I think.

"The ABS light comes on when the computer sees a problem in the system, it resets when the vehicle is turned off. The system doesn't have a memory and can't be properly diagnosed unless the light is on when testing. When the light is on, the ABS will not work, but the vehicle is safe to drive. I would guess the one of the Speed Sensors is going bad."

I'd start with replacing your sensors. It can look clean and be bad at the same time. And wirebrush your tone rings while you under there.
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
goodolboy71

if its a sensor problem, i have 4 for sale if ya want them

74 CJ5- total restoration from ground up, 3 spd, 304 V8, 32's
goodolboy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

When all else fails, pull the bulb. That is what I did, and I am fine with that.
Unread 07-24-2006, 06:43 AM   #8
dan1s

Thanks guys for your help. The reason why Iím concerned with the inspection is that in NY they hook up your car to a computer and send the information off to Motor Vehicle. There's no way to get around any kind of errors that the car has. So if the computers see a problem Iím up SH#t's creek with out a paddle.

Is there any way to test the sensors with my multi-meter?

Thanks, Dan
Unread 07-24-2006, 07:36 AM   #9
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

find a mechanic that can pull the codes (u may have to go to a dealer 4 this). Don't worry about the inspection. if it fails you have a grace period to get it fixed.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 08:01 AM   #10
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

That should be a Hall-effect type sensor, so it is not straight forward to test. The output will be a square wave so your voltmeter will be all over the place. I simply resistance check would tell you if the sensor is completely cooked, but that will not tell you if output is correct.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1s
Thanks guys for your help. The reason why Iím concerned with the inspection is that in NY they hook up your car to a computer and send the information off to Motor Vehicle. There's no way to get around any kind of errors that the car has. So if the computers see a problem Iím up SH#t's creek with out a paddle.

Is there any way to test the sensors with my multi-meter?

Thanks, Dan
DMV will check your OBDII, ABC has really nothing to do with that. You don't have check engine light on,only ABS light, right? If your MIL (check engine) light is On there is another problem somewhere.
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #12
dan1s

First, thanks for all the reply's. You guys are great!!!!

It's just the ABS light that is on. The check engine light has never come on since I have owned the Jeep.

The ABS light shouldn't be a problem with the NYDMV?
Unread 07-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #13
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I assume that NY is the same as everyone else. ABS is an option on many cars meaning that you can still buy a car without ABS. Thus, problems with an optional system should have no impact on success or failure of a state inspection. I killed the bulb, and the ABS does not throw an OBDII code. It passed state inspections with flying colors in both Delaware and North Carolina.
Unread 07-24-2006, 08:31 PM   #14
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Yes kill the bulb for sure for the inspection, but donít forget the issue. I would hate to have the ABS option and have them function as this is a great advantage to have. Have you tested the ABS by jamming on the brakes? That would be the ultimate test and really easy to do!

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #15
dan1s

Thanks for your help guys. I will recheck the sensors and see what happens at Motor Vehical. I will post the end result.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.