hello, general questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > hello, general questions...

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
robertg
1994 ZJ 

hello, general questions...

hi everyone, long time reader and lurker, finally posting for the first time.

my fiancee has a 94 ZJ, and i get to be its caretaker.

ruby, as leigh anne calls her, has 210k miles on her now, and still gets 22mpg highway. gets better mileage than my 2000 rwd astro van that has 136k miles.

there's some issues that i need to address, and i'm not sure where to look for the information at. i've already changed a cv axle boot on the passenger side, and did both door hinge pins on the driver side front door.

for some reason, the driver side rear door and the liftgate refuse to open.

any major problems with either of these repairs?

thanks!

robertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Intense-Dakota
2004 WJ 

can you open from the inside of the door, or not at all? If not at all, its gonna be fun. If it does, then it may just be the linkage, which will just require pulling the inside panel off the door, and peaking around to find the culprit.
Intense-Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
robertg
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense-Dakota View Post
can you open from the inside of the door, or not at all? If not at all, its gonna be fun.
not at all.

same goes for the rear liftgate, i have tried the trick of pushing in on the gate while working the latch. no good on that part. i can't get the liftgate trim pulled far enough back to get my hand in there either. couple screws wedged in underneath against the carpet.

thanks for the quick reply!
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Intense-Dakota
2004 WJ 

ouch, well for the door at least, a slimjim might be your only bet, but for the rear hatch, I am lost on a second option.
Intense-Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

Yeah, gonna have to find a way to get that back panel off, not sure how easy it will be, I'll take a look at mine tomorrow and see if there is anyway to get it off with it shut. The rear passenger door probably has a broken latch, which isn't any fun to get out either, when my driver side door latch broke, I got the panel off and spent a few hours with a dremel cutting the latch apart enough that it would come out.
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
impuresoul2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
a70eliminator

The stationary catch for the liftgate is bolted down through the floor of the hatch area and you can get at the nuts from between the bumper facia just under the latch, if the bolts are all rusty you mignt not be able to get them loose cause an open ended wrench is just about all you fit up under there. As far as the door goes a slim jim is the ticket if it's a linkage problem, you are aware the doors have a child proof mechanism located on the door in the jamb area, it's a lever that disables the inside handle. Oh also about that rear hatch you'll have to push down on the facia with your fingers to reveal the bolts.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

The back plate depends how much damage you want to do. You can cut a hole to do your work, or remove some of the screws to try and get it off...but you'll probably break it either way.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
robertg
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kyle_ View Post
The back plate depends how much damage you want to do. You can cut a hole to do your work, or remove some of the screws to try and get it off...but you'll probably break it either way.
i was wondering how the license plate mounting plate is attached.... the plate itself looks like it is made of some kind of plastic, or fiberglass.

could i get in to the latch from there if any other opening attempts fail?
Unread 03-22-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
i was wondering how the license plate mounting plate is attached.... the plate itself looks like it is made of some kind of plastic, or fiberglass.

could i get in to the latch from there if any other opening attempts fail?
I completely forgot about that. I remember reading about a guy going in that way. I think, but don't quote me, it pops off...but I'm 99% sure the guy ended up breaking it and had to replace that to. But its do able.

Here is the info from my 96 FSM on how to do it:

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
Unread 03-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
robertg
1994 ZJ 

hey kyle, thanks a lot! i could probably repair that lamp housing if it breaks on me while trying to access the liftgate in that manner.

that picture really helps me a ton. thanks again!
Unread 03-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
hey kyle, thanks a lot! i could probably repair that lamp housing if it breaks on me while trying to access the liftgate in that manner.

that picture really helps me a ton. thanks again!
Anytime. I completely forgot about that way to access it.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
Unread 03-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
dgejeep
1996 ZJ 

What color is your interior?
here is a grey rear panel and top for sale....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29
dgejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:56 PM   #13
robertg
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgejeep
What color is your interior?
here is a grey rear panel and top for sale....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29
not a bad idea... thanks! is a 1998 trim piece going to be the same as a 1994? i don't care about color, i can always scuff and paint to match.

i'm about to use a window switch panel from a trailblazer to replace the broken one in my astro van. the correct part from gm is part of an entire assembly, and costs about.... $57 my cost through my work at a chevy dealer.
i'll be able to use this experience in making something work on leigh anne's jeep.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.