Hella 500 wiring problems!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hella 500 wiring problems!!!

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 03-28-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
SouthernboyWJ
2004 WJ 

Hella 500 wiring problems!!!

so i bought some hella 500 driving lights and started to install them with a buddy of mine tonight.....it says on the directions to run a wire to the high beams but i am not sure which wire to cut for the high beams......im really pissed off about it cuz i had other things to do so can someone please tell me how to get to the high beam wire and what it looks like!!!!!????

SouthernboyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

It's illegal to have fogs that come up with the high beams. Those instructions were written in China I bet. Hook it up to the low beams, or if you really want to use it with high, hook it up to the driving light (what's is illegal as well but it's up to you). Or even better, tap it into your OEM fogs WJ has 2 bulbs, one for high and one for low, so there shouldn't be a problem to figure out which one is which as long as you identify the ground wire(use multimiter to ring it for continuity to the ground).

No need to cut the wire eather, tap it right by the headlight using this tipe of connector.
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
nierace
2003 WJ 

They're illegal for street use(Offroad driving lights)...so if a cop sees you with them on....

But as long as you're good about not leaving your high beams on...I would wire it to a switch though.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

If you don't have a switch that came with your Hellas, wire them toy your OEM fogs, this way you can ON/OFF them as needed.
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
nierace
2003 WJ 

Thats how mine are set...but I have fogs not driving lamps.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
SouthernboyWJ
2004 WJ 

well the thing is that the green wire thats supposed to go to the high beam is also supposed to attach to the back of the switch....my question is how can i go about disregarding the green wire and just having the lights to when i hit the switch the come on no matter what
SouthernboyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
donkie

Just rewire it using the switch and relay they provide, forget about the directions. You would want to turn these on whenever you want, right?

If you are not good with relays (meaning you have done this several times before without burning down your heep) just mount the lights and save yourself the trouble - find the nearest local car audio shop and they will do it for 20 bucks...
donkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2007, 11:41 PM   #8
j.love
1994 ZJ 

I have the same hella lights.. I cant remember rite off the top of my head with out going out there and looking at what I did but there was two diagrams in the instructions.. one shows how to attach it to the headlights and one with out the headlights.
I think if you just supply the switch with power from under the dash and then to the relay, that should do it

here are a few links....
http://www.jeepin.com/features/hella/index.asp

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/hooking-up-off-road-lights-393550/
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2007, 11:48 PM   #9
madrabbitt

Instead of tapping the green wire to the high beams, feed that wire to the fusebox. find a fuse thats only on with the ignition, or use the IGN or AUX point if theres nothing there.

That'll give you what you want.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.