Hella 500 Wiring help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hella 500 Wiring help

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
dturano547

Hella 500 Wiring help

Im in the process of wiring up the hella 500 fog lights. Man I used to be able to wire these things up with no problem ( I def was just rigging it up) At first I wanted to do this properly and correct but now it;s getting late and cold.

What is the easiest way to wire this up, im looking to do it without getting involved with the stock lights. The light has one white wire sticking out of the back. on the inside it has the silver prong with nothing on it, that is for the blue I guess (ground?)

I have an old switch and was hoping to just run the red from the battery to the switch, black on the switch to the gournd and the black wiring to the lights, i thkn for it to work this way I would have to ground the lights, right?

I dont know I give up, any help to get this thinkg wired up asap would really help.

Even if i bypass the relay switch so its on all the time through the switch I figured would be the easiest, here is the diagram (what is required and what is extra?)

Im going to get some pics of everything while I wait for some hits. thanks again....now I know why upgraded my account, becasue this site is very useful.

hella_lamp_scan.jpg  
dturano547 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
dturano547

Here are some more shots, figured it may help to when you guys try to dumb it down for me

The last show with the water will soon be beer as it cant make things worse...
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
Unread 10-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
dturano547

the top two just showed the mounting which i have covered.
4.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg  
Unread 10-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
dturano547

the shot with the swictches, the one to the left came with the lights.
Unread 10-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

you want to ground out both lights then the power need to come from the relay into the lamps. the schematic on the lights should be very straighforward.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
dturano547

I figured it was the ground on the lights. I had everything set up but didnt ground them, i will ground them and let you know what i come up with. thanks
Unread 10-21-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

make sure you use that relay. those lights pull some power and they will burn out the switch or the wiring to it. just ground each lamp. run the 12v wires from the lamps to the relay. ground the relay, put 12v to the relay, then 12v to the switch you want to use and the other end of the switch needs to hit the relay to trigger the relay to put power to the lamps.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
Unread 10-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
dturano547

that last bit of advice cleared things up a bit, i was able to get it to work without the relay but im goinna stick with your advice and the instructions and use it.

now to get everything back togather...
Unread 10-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

definetly use the relay. put it on the top of your to do list otherwise it will never get done. Looks like you went ahead and pulled a lot off to get those on there. looks like your doing it well. dunno if your just bolting it to the plastic but id reinforce the back side of the plastic with a piece of metal or something to spread the load out. might reduce some bouncing around and keep them from ripping off.
Unread 10-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
01ACRViper

i just installed Hella 550's on my ZJ, so hopefull i can help.

first off, where are the grounds from your lights? there should be 2 wires running from the light housing, 1 power, 1 ground. run the power from both lights to the relay. run power from the battery (+) to the relay. run your supply from the relay to the switch, and the load from the switch to the parking lights, which ever side is easiest to splice them to. if you don't care about the lights working with your headlight switch, there is no need for the parking light splice. finally, ground your switch and the relay to bare metal.

make sure you have 3 grounds: lights, relay, and switch (unless you don't care about the light on the switch, then don't ground it)
01ACRViper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2006, 09:10 PM   #11
01ACRViper

after reading your post, you do need to run through the relay, those lights draw a lot of power. the little tab on the back of the light housing is for the ground, and the white wire is for power.

and those mounts look really flimsy, i would at least get some cheap angle braces from a hardware store to give them some support
01ACRViper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/piaa-install-help-151911/

Check out that thread.
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #13
dturano547

"dunno if your just bolting it to the plastic but id reinforce the back side of the plastic with a piece of metal or something to spread the load out. might reduce some bouncing around and keep them from ripping off."

im thinking about using something like this or maybe getting a flat peice to put up against the plastic. When i mounted it to the plastic it feels like over time or quicker it would rip off on the highway. Also it seems like it would bounce around and hit the grille.
7.jpg  
Unread 10-21-2006, 10:52 PM   #14
dturano547

def need to figure out a way to reduce the stress on that front bumber.
2.jpg  
Unread 10-21-2006, 11:00 PM   #15
dturano547

this is how the plate would look from the other side.

sorry about the large images, ill reduce any more i post. i know it can be a pain.
.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.