Heavy Duty 42re - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Heavy Duty 42re

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
lucky_logger6

Heavy Duty 42re

Does anyone have experience with a high performance built 42re. I am in need or a rebuild but am disappointed that my factory built trany only lasting 85k and even when working well would “slide” in to gears rater than give nice firm shifts. Granted I don’t know the maintenance of the first 50k but it seems that the 42re is the week link in the drive train. This is going into a stock rig but It seems other stock jeeps are needing rebuilds around 100k as well, so I’m thinking I don’t want to be dumping another trany in it in 3yrs

I have had a local shop quote me around 2300 for a “full rebuild.” I then started looking around the net and found a few high performance builders building racing transmissions. Does any one have experience with either of these two builders?

http://www.apsprecision.com/

http://www.levelten.com/

Thanks for the feed back and other ideas.

lucky_logger6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
ajmorell

You don't need a high-performance rebuild, you just need to make sure that it get rebuilt with quality parts. There are really only a few parts that need to be upgraded in the trans to beef it up.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
lucky_logger6

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you explain what parts should be upgraded.
Unread 08-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_logger6
Thanks for the quick reply. Can you explain what parts should be upgraded.

I swamped my Jeep and I got water in the tranny and had the local aamco rebuilt it and for an extra $85 I bought an aftermarket shift kit and had them install it. Now it shifts better then new and the shifts are firm.

-1994 ZJ Lifted and Locked...
-1983 CJ7 4.2ltr/Dana 300/Warn F&R bumpers...and some other goodies.

D.W.A. (Death Wobble Anonymous)
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
lucky_logger6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree
I swamped my Jeep and I got water in the tranny and had the local aamco rebuilt it and for an extra $85 I bought an aftermarket shift kit and had them install it. Now it shifts better then new and the shifts are firm.
What did your rebuild run? Did they install the Transgo kit?

Thanks alot
Unread 08-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

Agreed.... add a shift kit with the rebuild. I checked locally before I did it myself and everyone was around $1200-1600 unless you pulled the tranny yourself. Then the price went to $850 range. Of course I'm hard headed, so when I did mine myself, I spent just under $450 with a new torque converter and shift kit.

I also bought a transmission specific manual that helped tremendously... It's faily straight forward. Take your time. You'll do great!

It's still running.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
Scottso699
2006 WK 

I recently swamped my tranny too - it was like draining chocolate milk out of it when the pan came down - the tranny was rebuilt with Heavy duty bands and a shift kit. The also plugged the stupid breather behind the torque converter and plumbed one up on top. $2800 over all at Aamco - shifts like a mustang now - its pretty crazy! They also added a heavy duty tranny cooler.

2006 WK Overland - K&N CAI, Superchips Programmer, Dynomax Ultra Flo Muffler, 265/70r17 BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain Tires, 1.25" Wheel Spacers, OME HD Lift, Monroe F150 Load Assist Shocks
Scottso699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
lucky_logger6

Thanks for all the feedback. Then jeep goes in for a tranny on Tuesday. I had local quotes from $1600-3000 with most shops wanting around $2000 for the rebuild. I was just thinking for a few hundred more I could get a custom built high performance built trany that should out last the jeep. I’m sure hopping the shop I chose does a better job than jeep did.

I asked about using a shift kit and they said it is part of their standard rebuild on a 42re

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.