Heater only shoots heat out of the defrost vents - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Heater only shoots heat out of the defrost vents

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Your cruise control pulls on the throttle with a vacuum operated solenoid. The vacuum to operate that solenoid operates off the same source as the heater controls on a non-automatic heater controls.

[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #17
Tigggger
1995 ZJ 

Not sure about the ZJs but I know in the WJs the defrost is a default mode. As in if anything goes wrong with your heater stuff the vehicle is programmed to automatically go to defrost that way your toes may be freezing but you'll have a clear windshield to see out of.
Tigggger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #18
Cowboy33
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have somewhat of the same problem in my 02 sport, except my heat and air work but only come through the dash vents and nothing through defrost of bottom. Would this be the result of the same vaccum hose problem?
Cowboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Cowboy, if the system in your is anything like it is in mine, no. There's a motor driven cam wheel in behind the heater controls that has three pushrods that go through it. The pushrod for the "face" vents pops out and has to be manhandled back in. And since the "face" vents are the shortest for airflow, the air takes the path of least resistance and none gets out the upper or lower vents.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #20
Parkatola
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik View Post
You have a disconnected or cracked vacuum hose under the hood, probably around the throttle body area. I'm betting your cruise control doesn't work either does it
Okay, I found this forum last night (12/2/09) looking for an answer to this question. When I read your comment about the cruise control not working, I almost fell off my chair. It had never occurred to me that they were related. You're good. Thanks for the info. I need to check all my lines, 'cause it's getting colder in Utah, and I want to be able to feel my feet, not just my forehead. Cheers!

Parkatola
Parkatola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #21
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Happy to help, keep coming back and we'll have you lifted and tearing up even more stuff before you know it

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #22
bjornski7
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdav8629 View Post
One other place to check is look under the dash on the drivers side. If you look towards the glove box, there is a plastic white arm. It is right behind the message center. The lever breaks right by the eye that connects it to the shaft. If it is broken you will only get light defrost and heat. Just my 2 cents. Also there is an arm right under the ignition, try to push that up manually.
This is exactly the problem that I have - heat, defrost and only low. I looked for this lever but could not find it. I have a 98 cherokee. Please help.
Thanks,
Blake
bjornski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #23
joeynoodles

Hey everyone. I realise this is an old thread, but I had the same problem. Ken, I nearly fell off my chair too when I read your answer
about the cruise not working as well. Anyway, I read all the posts on the subject and decided to have a look under the bonnet again.
To my joy, I found a small rubber pipe had popped off of its connector. I dont have a clue what it does, or what its called'
but air blowers and cruise are working just fine now! Id just like to thank you alk for your informed answers, and indeed questions.
I have attached two pics to show the location of the offending item. Hopefully they will help other hapless amateurs
such as myself!
Thanks again,
Joey
jeep-hose-wide.jpg   jeep-hose-redcircle.jpg  
joeynoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #24
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

that's the vacuum line for the cruise and ac, like stated.
glad you found this thread useful. feel free to stick around and hopefully we'll get you set up with the jeep modifying disease in no time.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.