Heater core replacement made easy! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Heater core replacement made easy!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

Heater core replacement made easy!

Ok well I replaced my leaky heater core without taking the whole entire dash apart. This was done in a 95 Limited.
I'm sorry I dont have many pics I was more worried about getting it done then taking pics but hopefully what i did take helps some.
First I just removed the radio/ac/heat/vic faceplate and the A pillar covers in order to remove the top of the dash board. Then I removed the glove box as well. I also removed the radio but didnít need to. Then I used a soldering pencil to cut a part of the plastic directly above the heater core. Once that was cut away I used a hack saw blade to cut the vent ducts that were in the way. Now that the heater core is visible I cut the two tubes connected to the heater core so I could lift it out of the box. Then I removed the old tubes and used them to make the same cuts on the new heater core. I then installed the new tubes along with heater core hose as a connection. Then I dropped in the new heater core and clamped the hoses to make the connection. Now that the new heater core is installed I re-installed the vent ducts that I cut away. I used aluminum tape to seal the cuts so there is no air leaks. I did not re-install the plastic that I had cut out in order to get to the heater core because it has little to no structural integrity. Then I just re installed the glove box, the dash cover ,faceplate, and A pillar covers. The whole process took around 3 hours and I did not have to deal taking the whole dash and steering column apart.

heater-core-replacement4.jpg   heater-core-replacement3.jpg   heater-core-replacement2.jpg  
Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Out of the box thinking.

I love it .

I did something like that on a 90 Buick Century when it needed a new starter .

The Motor Manual book I was using said something like vacume out and remove the AC compressor then remove the left exaust manifold and so on because they were saying take it out from the top downward .

I said to myself this car is old and screw that I will trash it before I go to all that trouble,cost and time .

So I crawled under the the car and looked at if I could remove it from underneath and I decided I could if I cut a couple of pull ties on the main wiring harness and pull it out of the way .

It took me 15 minutes tops compaired to their 4,5 or 6 hour of hard and costly work that they called for.

It was the easist starter that I ever replaced and I did not have to even jack the car up or put it on ramps.

Nice work Cherokee .

Edit: a big thumbs up from me dawg .

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

I like it. This looks way easier than the normal procedure of basically gutting the Jeep.
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Nice shortcut!

In the last pic, is that large silver ground strap stock? Connected to what?
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

Yea it's stock and it attaches back on to the heater core clamp.
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

damn here I spent 8hours and a week in the hospital on this job

nice short cut
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

Going to attempt this next weekend.

Anybody else try it this way?
ZJMTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squazz View Post
damn here I spent 8hours and a week in the hospital on this job

nice short cut
lol, what the heck did you do to get sent to a hospital

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

[B]Specs[/B]- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
[B]Upcoming Projects[/B]- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

[B][I]"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"[/I][/B]
- gen. george patton
iser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

Never knew the dash cover was removable unless my 96 laredo is different
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Coastaljag98
1995 ZJ 

actually you can pul the entire dash out, change the evap and the heater core and put back together in 3 hours lol....I don't like hacking my Jeep so I do the repairs the right way. To each his own tho. I've had mine since the day it rolled out the showroom....167K original miles and Mobil 1 syn since new! It's on the 4th evap and 2nd heater core, original trans and engine. I've only replaced speakers, 2 antenna masts, 2 starters and 1 power window motor, other than bulbs for headlights and the headlight assemblies themselves and that was only because they were cloudy. It's been a great truck. GOnna celebrate at 200K and keep going!
Coastaljag98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
cekmgreen
1998 ZJ 

im sorry not a huge fan a weekend and a case of beer spending some time with an old buddy of mine doing it the right was just made more sense..... not a fan sorry! there is always the right way and a half @ss way if this was an old beater trail rig all for it and who cares about even putting dash back in but as far as a driver goes i wouldnt attempt it.... just me but hey good right up for anyone using this idea on a trail rig or not dd.....
cekmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

There's nothing wrong with this way guys. Unless you want to share how you did it in three hours, which would also be cool.
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

It's not a beater it's my daily driver and I just didn't want to attempt to disturbed 17 year old wiring that could make one project into another project. And the hole gets covered by the dash cover so you never see it. And its quick and easy to replace the heater core if it need replacing.
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee95kid View Post
It's not a beater it's my daily driver and I just didn't want to attempt to disturbed 17 year old wiring that could make one project into another project. And the hole gets covered by the dash cover so you never see it. And its quick and easy to replace the heater core if it need replacing.
Any final tips? I'm going to be doing it your way this weekend. I also agree with what you're saying; there are lots of things I don't want to touch.

Thanks for the writeup!
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

Have a fan running cause the melted plastic can become a little suficating lol.and just make sure u line the hole up right so u can get to the heater core.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.