Heater core replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Heater core replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Rhinoguy
2001 WJ 

Heater core replacement

Heater core is out, read the wjjeeps write-up on removal of the dash. Not looking forward to the replacement. Just wanted to get people's .02 on what else I should replace while I'm in there, and where's the best place to get parts.

thanks

01 WJ 4.7 V8 Limited Dual Climate Control

Rhinoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

Rhinoguy, I have a ZJ and luckily my heater core is still in one piece. However, last week I was wondering the exact same thing. What else to replace while I'm in there. I'll be watching this thread. Good luck with your upcoming "adventure."

Jay
'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS
ZJJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Rhinoguy
2001 WJ 

bump.......
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Big Red 95
1995 ZJ 

I have never done a heater core myself but need to as well. I can't say for sure but i think i remember on the WJs if you have the dual zone climate control the blend doors commonly go out. they can be costly to fix because you have to remove the dash so you may want to get them a look while your in there. i think i have seen threads on them before so you might be able to search on them to get better info.
Wife: G-Wagon, 84 Grand Wagoneer
4.2 bored and 484 lift cam, 3sp Auto 904, Part Time T-case, D44/AMC20, 6" BJs All Spring lift33x12.50 Maxxis BuchShot Muddres on 15x10 Soft 8s
Big Red 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

Jeep must have used some really cheap heater cores in WJ's. I've never seen so many go bad this new. My ZJ has the original at 163,000 and 17 years, and my Camaro had the original up until this last fall at 27 years.
Unread 03-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
RevNL
1999 WJ 

My '99 WJ with 130k miles has the original heater core. Evaporator, blend doors, and recirc door were bad when I bought it at 79k miles.

Anyways, it might be worth replacing all those parts at the same time.
RevNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
Rhinoguy
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNL View Post
My '99 WJ with 130k miles has the original heater core. Evaporator, blend doors, and recirc door were bad when I bought it at 79k miles.

Anyways, it might be worth replacing all those parts at the same time.
Yea, I just ordered all those, seems those are all a good idea from the forums. Might be attacking it this weekend if the parts show in time...
Unread 04-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Rhinoguy
2001 WJ 

So replaced blend doors, recirc door, heater core. Evap looked okay so I didn't replace it. Someone had been into the system before for a fix I found out. This might be the 3rd heater core idk. Using bo barry's write up below with the wjjeeps write up I was able to get everything replaced and back together in about 7 1/2 hrs with breaks.

Blend Door Fix: Addenda to WJJEEP Writeup - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

I would also STRONGLY suggest replacing the hoses from the heater core to the metal tubing under the hood.

I didn't replace the hose and 3 days after replacement I get coolant low from the cpu and find coolant under the passenger floor again. I had thought Rock Auto had sent me a bad core and I was pissed. I picked up a new heater core from checker and went at pulling out the dash again, when I got in there I found the hose was seeping from around the clamps, hose was bad. Dealer wanted 90 bucks, I just went back to checker and picked up some generic for 8 bucks. Good news is I got the dash out went to checker and had it put together in just under 5 hours this time.

BTW let the shops know you have good freon, I was able to get a shop to vacuum it out for free b/c it was perfectly good freon

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.