Heater core. Finally rears it's ugly head... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Heater core. Finally rears it's ugly head...

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Heater core. Finally rears it's ugly head...

That's great.

I've noticed a slight fogging of the windshield lately along with a wiff of anti-freeze. It appears that a new heater core is in my future. I've subscribed to the 32 steps to removing a ZJ dash thread.

I've read that some have had fitment issues with aftermarket heater cores and AC evaporators (I'm doing it all while I'm in there).

Does anyone that's done this have any input as to what aftermarket brands for sure fit without any major issues? I hate surprises.

I'm looking through Rockauto or any other places.

Unread 10-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJK View Post
That's great.

I've noticed a slight fogging of the windshield lately along with a wiff of anti-freeze. It appears that a new heater core is in my future. I've subscribed to the 32 steps to removing a ZJ dash thread.

I've read that some have had fitment issues with aftermarket heater cores and AC evaporators (I'm doing it all while I'm in there).

Does anyone that's done this have any input as to what aftermarket brands for sure fit without any major issues? I hate surprises.

I'm looking through Rockauto or any other places.
Take lots of pics, I'm going into mine this winter, specifically for the AC, but will put a new core in while I'm at it.
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

It's really not that bad, having never done a heater core and taking my time I ended up with about 6 hours total into mine. The only thing I didn't do was replace the evaporator, which I am kinda kicking myself for since I haven't haven't been able to pull a vacuum on my AC, so I suspect I have a leak somewhere. I did however replace the receiver drier.

I bought my heater core off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had absolutely zero fitment issues and it dropped right in. It is important to note that on this unit the heater hose fittings swivel, allowing you to kind of 'fine tune' their fitment/placement through the firewall. I'm sure it also allows for easier packaging for the manufacturer as well.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Rikoshay
1998 ZJ 

How many miles???

Make sure you flush your coolant system and clean the ground wires!!!

Everybody knows that ZJ's have ground issues, but not a lot of people know that a faulty ground can lead to the starter using the cooling system for a ground path, which leads to blown heater cores.
Rikoshay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
I've subscribed to the 32 steps to removing a ZJ dash thread
On the 93-95 ZJs, there's no need to follow the complete FSM method for dash removal. The FSM procedure is about literally removing the entire dash from the vehicle, whereas for AC work you only need to remove enough to be able to pivot the passenger side of the dash far enough out to get at the AC box. This reduces the number of steps fairly significantly.

It may be worth Googling to see if you can find a writeup on the quicker method for the 96-98 dash. In fact I'm sure I've seen one somewhere. Here's the writeup for the 93-95, which demonstrates how much less work you need to do.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

The dahs wonc come all the way out anyhow thanks to the wiring that is looped through the back side of the dash and you dont want to be removing all that cause you end up with a HUGE mess lol I know cause I just stripped a 93.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikoshay View Post
How many miles???

I ordered the evap and heater core from Rockauto so we'll see.

I cut the hoses from the heater core and have them looped together temporarily. Good thing I'm in the south where it's very temperate this time of year.

I can evacuate the AC system with a recovery machine at work.

Do the aftermarket evaporators come with o-rings for the connections?
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
Here's the writeup for the 93-95, which demonstrates how much less work you need to do.
That's the write up I plan on using.

Can anyone confirm it works on a later ZJ (98)?
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Theres a write up for 96-98 floating around im positive ive seen it.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
That's the write up I plan on using.

Can anyone confirm it works on a later ZJ (98)?
never mind . can't delete post
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
Theres a write up for 96-98 floating around im positive ive seen it.
That's the one I linked to in the first post.
Unread 10-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
bcbueller
1998 ZJ 

removing the dash is a two step process on the 98 outer dash panels then the under skeleton that all the vents are connected to ,then the heater box can be removed . as well on the 98 there are several hidden nuts in the engine compartment and another under the pcm on the passenger side
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #13
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post

I had absolutely zero fitment issues and it dropped right in. It is important to note that on this unit the heater hose fittings swivel, allowing you to kind of 'fine tune' their fitment/placement through the firewall. I'm sure it also allows for easier packaging for the manufacturer as well.
For reference, this thread from the Dodge forums shows the two kinds of heater cores and has Spectra part numbers (Our GCs use the same core):

http://www.dodgeownerforums.com/smf/...?topic=17527.0

Apparently the swivel style is much easier to install than the rigid-line version if you're not removing the entire HVAC box as a unit.
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:32 AM   #14
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

This is on my priorty lists as soon as my avatar can ok it,lol. I wonder why the swivel would be easier, cause you can rotate it? Another connection point would kinda give me the creeps on this particular repair. I have to replace all the foam on the doors anyway {tired of chunks blowing out all over the place} so I'll be pulling the whole housing.
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
This is on my priorty lists as soon as my avatar can ok it,lol. I wonder why the swivel would be easier, cause you can rotate it? Another connection point would kinda give me the creeps on this particular repair. I have to replace all the foam on the doors anyway {tired of chunks blowing out all over the place} so I'll be pulling the whole housing.
Agreed about being leery of the swivel joints. When I did mine I searched until I found an aluminum non-swivel heater core just like the factory one I pulled out. Not sure where I found it but I think I got the last one they had. RockAuto only lists the aluminum swivel cores and the brass solid core now. The swivels are sealed with an o-ring and the fitting is crimped down to keep the whole thing together. I didn't want to add a couple of potential failure points under my dash.

On my 93 I took the whole dash out step by step following the Haynes manual. Took about 6 hours from start to finish. Not that bad a job actually; a lot of steps but nothing really hard about it.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.