Heater/AC Won't Blow Air - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Heater/AC Won't Blow Air

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 11-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Grenmar

Heater/AC Won't Blow Air

I can feel heat/cold air coming from the vents but when I turn the selector to make the air blow nothing happens. I bought my 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo used and I have no owners manual. I was hoping to check the fuse box under the hood but I can not for the life of me find a diagram online to figure out which fuse I need to check.

I am under the assumption that the blower is out and have absolutely no idea where to start to see if that is the problem and if so how to fix.

PLEASE HELP

I am in utah and it's VERY cold in the mornings and having to bundle up just to drive to work is getting annoying.

Thanks!

Grenmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
4jeepers
1999 WJ 

Before you start throwing parts at the a/c-heating controls, first check the short connector to the fan (Under dash) the connector may look burned and melted due to a power surge (amps). This is supposed to be a common problem. I know as this happened to me over the summer and it gets very
hot around here. Good Luck

Start at fuse box under the hood on Passenger side, The fan fuse and relay are located there!

Last edited by 4jeepers; 11-26-2008 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: I forgot to mention fuse location
4jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Grenmar

Right they're under the hood, but which fuses are they? I don't have an owners manual and I can't find a diagram anywhere on line. I don't know which fuse to look at or if those fuses are even there.
Unread 11-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

You need to go to the www.wjjeeps.com site for all the little information that you need.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Grenmar

Thanks for the help but that website is for 99's and newer and mine is a 98. I don't know if there's a difference in the power box diagram but i'll look to see if the fuses match. It mentions that the box is under the driver side...I need to know about the power box under the hood of my 98 zj. I appreciate all the help so far tho.
Unread 11-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

I may have missed it, but is the blower not even running or is the blower running, but no air is being moved...

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
Grenmar

No air is being moved. I've checked the fuses and they're ok. I really don't know much about cars I'm just trouble shooting at this point in time so I can start to learn. I can feel heat coming from the vents while I'm driving but there is no air flow other then that.
Unread 11-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
Grenmar

Bump For Justice
Unread 11-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
4jeepers
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenmar View Post
Right they're under the hood, but which fuses are they? I don't have an owners manual and I can't find a diagram anywhere on line. I don't know which fuse to look at or if those fuses are even there.
Take OHM meter and start checking all of them (One at a time) When you get to one that reads "0" ohms, replace it.
4jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #10
darkfour
1998 ZJ 

Just dug out my manual for 98 GC (I've got a 5.9 and its the factory owner's manual but it's not model specific just says 1998 Jeep GC on the cover) and it claims that the fuse panel is on the front passenger kick panel. I've looked on mine and it's not there. Anyway when you find it fuse 12 is for the Heater-Ventilation-A/C control and recirc motor. It says its a 10amp red fuse and may be partially hidden.

The Electrical Power Distribution center is in the engine compartment near the battery amd number 15 is the blower motor and high speed blower motor relay. This is a 40amp Orange fuse. That's about all the help I can be
darkfour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
moparman7479
1998 ZJ 

Heater/AC wont blow air

I am having the same problem with my 98. Having a few other minor problems as well but living in New England this time of year heat is kind of high priority. I have checked the fuses both under hood and in fuse box. (my owners manual says my box is in the dash but it's actually in the passenger kick panel. I have tested my motor and it's good, I removed the resistor and used a continuity tester and have power all the way through it and I have power from the switch to the resistor and the motor itself. (5 wires from switch) 1 is a dark green heavy gauge thats a ground the other 4 go to the resistor. all I can think of is the switch in the dash or it's a vac leak somewhere. Other problems right now is the flipper glass doesn't open and i replaced the switch and the accutator, I think it might be a poor ground since i have power to the accutator. the light that illuminates the rear wiper switch doesn't work all the time but if i tap the switch it comes on (or goes off) not a high priority since the rear wiper works. I have a heater control switch on order should be in 12/30/08 hopefully that solves my heat problem if not I am going to the dealer or using a toggle switch and fuse and just run the blower on high.
moparman7479 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.