heated seats - -- - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > heated seats - --

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 10-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
netmonky

heated seats - --

Hi guys,

Quick question to you helpful chaps :-D.

I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee with a drivers seat that fails to heat :-(. Reading the web I can see that they made some great improvements in 2000-2004 models which do not stop working ...even if a wire breaks.

Question... if I get one of these seats - will it be compatible with the 1999 wire loom/plugs? I would think so as I cannot see them changing a great deal as itís the same shape etc

netmonky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
nick62087
1999 WJ 

I can't imagine they'd be different. Check out wjjeeps.com, they might have more info. Even if they are, you could probably figure something out to make it work.

Also, i found that bouncing up and down in the seat pretty hard sometimes makes the heat work on my 99. Just don't do it at a crowded intersection or you'll probably get some really strange looks if anyone notices. Also, i wouldn't recommend doing this while driving, due to the potential to lose control of the vehicle. Actually, when i think about it, a seat swap would probably be the better choice either way. Refer to the first 3 sentences above^.
nick62087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Turbonut

They are the same junk. Our old '01 had the heaters go so I replaced them with aftermarket units. The OE replacements for the Jeep is $329 list per seat.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
netmonky

hahah thanks nick62087.

Turbonut what aftermarket units did you buy ... could you wire them up to original switch?
Unread 10-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Turbonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by netmonky View Post
hahah thanks nick62087.

Turbonut what aftermarket units did you buy ... could you wire them up to original switch?
I purchased a "large" set off eBay, 3 year warranty, then I cut the length to fit. No, you can't use the OE switch, but here's what I did. After removing the switch from the dash, I removed the entire switch (guts) from the housing, then cut plastic that fit perfectly inside the housing and attached with JB Weld, then drilled a hole in the center to accept the aftermarket switches, sprayed trim black, and reinstalled into the factory location. For wiring I ran a fused wire from the battery into a relay that was activated by a wire to the lighter then ran the wiring to the switches, then with the console removed, wiring down the hump, under the carpet and to the wiring under the seats. It was 3 years ago, so hope that's enough information. They worked great, but have since sold the Jeep.
Unread 10-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #6
netmonky

thanks ... i will keep that inmind :-D
Unread 10-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

why cant you use the stock switches? higher draw from the aftermarkets? if so why not run it through a relay?
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
Kramer H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 05:20 AM   #8
Turbonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer H View Post
why cant you use the stock switches? higher draw from the aftermarkets? if so why not run it through a relay?
Let's put it this way, the two three-position rocker-type switches, one switch for each front seat, provide a resistor multiplexed signal to the Body Control Module (BCM) through separate hard wired circuits. It didn't seem as though the OE switch controlled the power directly, rather the HSM or MHSM responds to the heated seat switch status messages by controlling the output to the seat heater elements of the selected seat. I just didn't want to bother experiementing with the OE switches, and the switch modification using the aftermarket switches took a minumum amout of time, as I did the switches before starting on the pad replacements.

If you decide to install an aftermarket pad, and have time, give the switches a try and see if they can be used, but also check over on wjjeeps for additional information:
Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Power and heated seats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.